Keeping up with the Shumachers

We closely watch restaurant broker Shumacher Group. Their niche seems to be representing restaurant owners who want completely out of the business. Their listings and sales offer a crystal ball into changes we’re likely to see months out. It doesn’t hurt that a good bit of their business is right here in the northern burbs.

They’ve had a flurry of new business that is very timely to those following the restaurant scene in Alpharetta.

First is Durango Woodfire Grill. They’ve secured space in the Medlock Crossing shopping center in Johns Creek where Tilted Kilt used to be. One can assume that this is the same concept that closed last year in downtown Atlanta.

The former Chadwick’s Tap Room space on Old Alabama Connector has been listed. This is an enormous restaurant that lacks good road visibility. Frankly I forget this shopping center even exists when I’m in the area.

Shumacher helped to broker a contract for the Champps Americana building to indoor skydiving firm iFly. The listing is back on the market after Alpharetta’s City Council again rejected iFly’s plans to build here. I suspect we’ll see iFly open elsewhere in metro Atlanta. In the meantime, Alpharetta’s biggest and longest-running restaurant vacancy is again available.

And finally, we love when brokers obfuscate their listings. We take it as a challenge to unmask the mystery restaurant. Check out this listing near North Point Mall and let me know who you think it is?

18 Responses to “Keeping up with the Shumachers”

1. Cool Papa Bell June 19, 2015 at 9:26 am #

Chadwick’s spot does not lack road visibility. Fancy Pantry has thrived for years a few doors down. Chadwick’s, which was rebranded from the chicken wing place before that, was so horribly run, then drew a shady crowd. It was doomed for failure.

The Indigo place before that I always heard lukewarm stuff and the Cajun place was okay. Ala where Northpoint Diner thrives after a laundry list of failed restaurants, all I’d like to see is a good restaurant in that spot.

2. BH June 19, 2015 at 10:25 am #

Is it former Rio Nuevo Mexican Cantina at 6400 North Point Parkway?

3. CC June 19, 2015 at 10:33 am #

Where Rio Bravo used to be, perhaps?

4. V June 19, 2015 at 10:36 am #

Could be the former Famous Dave’s, which then became a Mexican restaurant so short-lived that I can’t remember its name.

5. Dan June 19, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

I’ll take that challenge. It’s Anchor’s Seafood and Ale House.

6. Mike Christensen June 19, 2015 at 8:08 pm #

None of those places. It’s a nationally anchored strip mall, not a standalone space. The large patio is what’s throwing me.

7. J June 19, 2015 at 8:48 pm #

Millers Ale house?

8. Cheryl Botts June 20, 2015 at 10:08 am #

I thought of Spice Kitchen or North Point Diner, But Anchor Seafood sounds about right since they did just open a year ago. Can’t be Rio Nuevo which has been vacant and untouched for years, certainly doesn’t fit newly renovated and comes with a full staff.

9. Greg June 20, 2015 at 10:54 am #

I don’t think it can be the old Rio Nuevo/Famous Dave’s location on N Pt Pkwy because it’s been shuttered for a long time.

I am going to side with CC and say it’s Taqueria Tsunami, which is the old Rio Bravo location on Holcomb Bridge — that fits in with the Nov ’14 reno, the large patio and being fully staffed

10. Shaz June 20, 2015 at 11:57 am #

Is it Ray’s?

11. Glen June 20, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

I agree with the others. Rio Nuevo/Famous Daves spot. I remember you reporting that Verizon was going to move across the street to that location, but I have not seen anything going on. I was wondering what happened to the Chammp’s deal. Oh well…..next!!!!

12. Jason June 21, 2015 at 7:22 pm #

I agree with Dan. Longhorn is the anchor.

13. Travis Allen June 22, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Whew, this is a tough one. I would have said Anchor’s, but the description says “nationally anchored shopping center” and I hardly think Longhorn counts.

It can’t be the Famous Dave’s location because the description says “full staff in place”

So…what’s left? I’d go with the Flying Biscuit Cafe on Mansell Road, with Barberitos as a second guess.

14. Boca June 23, 2015 at 2:41 pm #

I concur -> Anchor’s!

15. Mike Christensen June 26, 2015 at 8:43 am #

Anchor cannot be seen from any street. That’s why that space has been vacant for so long. It’s a cool looking spot, but Longhorn has all the visibility.

16. Jody June 26, 2015 at 6:45 pm #

I wonder if it is The Counter?

17. Glen July 3, 2015 at 11:54 am #

So….. Who is it? Or at least, who do you think it is?

18. Travis Allen August 13, 2015 at 2:48 pm #

It was definitely Anchor’s…the listing now says that.