Where are the millennials at Avalon?

I liked this article from the Revue & News the other day about the residential development at Avalon. It was written like your standard economic development fluff piece they are so experienced in writing. But there are some interesting tidbits tucked away in the story.

First, only about a third of the apartments at Avalon have been rented. That came as a bit of a surprise to me considering how awesome North American Properties billed them. During the phase two proposal they talked of “unprecedented demand” for the apartments and long waiting lists.

The more interesting part of the article is the average resident age. An anonymous source reported to me that the average age of the Avalon renter was pushing 50 years old. The Revue & News article seems to confirms this citing an average in the mid to high 40′s.

Where are the throngs of millennials?

Remember that we have to build these dense mixed use developments to attract them, right? Alpharetta will die if they don’t move here and millennials don’t like the tired old suburban life we have. They will never buy a house or have children so we have to build apartments, apartments and MORE APARTMENTS! Apartments stacked on top of apartments!

Baloney.

Avalon is attracting rich empty-nesters. There’s nothing wrong with that as Avalon is very attractive to those who want to downsize yet still live the Robin Leach lifestyle.

So let’s call it what it is. Despite what you might hear during land use discussions, millennials are simply not moving to these developments in large numbers.

45 Responses to “Where are the millennials at Avalon?”

1. Adam April 2, 2015 at 9:41 am #

A development opens less than a year ago and you expect things to change overnight? As a millennial living outside of Avalon in a boring (incredible) neighborhood I still see the appeal and benefit of doing these kinds of developments. That being said, I go to Avalon to eat, not shop. The curation of shops in the development is definitely catered to your rich empty nesters. Nothing about avalon speaks “young” or “cool.” It screams “money” and “money.”

2. Scott Long April 2, 2015 at 9:47 am #

I’ve also heard various occupancy percentages and wondered whether it is a percent of the 250 total, or “percent of the apartments built” or “percent of apartments released to the public” or what.

Seeing who is out on their balconies on a perfect Saturday afternoon in Springtime will answer the question of who is renting the apartments. But yes, my wife works in Roswell and is outnumbered by millenials 4 to 1, and they almost universally live in Brookhaven and environs and commute everyday at 6:30am to Roswell. I did too at that age. The gritty intown lifestyle is irresistable when you first have a real job and true independence. Same with my millenial coworkers where I work in Alpharetta though we’re more 1:1 ratio.

But why does it matter if the tenants are millenials or not? Only thing that matters is if they are they are paying their rent right?

3. S Lee Guy April 2, 2015 at 10:09 am #

These developments are sold as places for millennials to live. That’s how they are pitched to the city when in fact the younger generation simply can’t afford it. It’s their parents moving in!

I’m not saying it is a problem necessarily, just that the early narrative is incorrect.

4. Glen April 2, 2015 at 10:23 am #

You just hit the nail on the head!!!!! The younger generation can’t afford it!!! First off, its to expensive to live and exist there. Whole Foods(Whole paycheck) is to expensive and all of the shopping and restaurants also are. There needs to be a place to eat a meal for less than $15 a person. I’m not suggesting a Krystal’s or Burger King, but something realistic that will bring more people in more often. Also the younger people like to go out more. Is there anything in the development that will attract them to go out and spend money? There are no nightclubs or restaurants geared towards just going in and hanging out. The originally rumored Yard House would have been a place like this. There needs to be an entertainment club and a Sports bar to attract the younger clientele. Also the community itself. What do they do to attract people?
    The ice skating thing was good, but that was winter time. Let’s see what happens in the spring and summer. Regular street festivals and community events geared towards people that live there would be a big help. I will say that it has not even been six months since the opening. Maybe things will change.

5. Grant Goggans April 2, 2015 at 10:26 am #

I just looked over the retail list, and must agree with Adam, not very many of those stores look like the sort of places where millennials tend to shop. How much repeat business you reckon a 28 year-old is bringing to that LensCrafters?

6. RV April 2, 2015 at 11:01 am #

Johns Creek is looking to make the same mistake with the same justification.

7. John Harvey April 2, 2015 at 11:43 am #

I have watched with much interest in the development, as my wife and I are now selling our home in Alpharetta to downsize and simplify our way of living. We looked to purchase in Avalon but found their product lackluster and WAAAAYYYY overpriced. We decided to build a new home across the street from Avalon instead to be able to enjoy the best of what Avalon has to offer. Since our home is now under contract and our new home will not be dome until the end of September we approached Avalon about a 6 month rental. I was very surprised to hear that was not an option even though most apartments remain empty given the ludicrous rents they charge. I was willing to pay a small premium for rent just for the novelty of living there for the summer but since they are uber proud of their product I guess they would rather it remain empty. I am not sure what their target market is but they seem inflexible at this point. Oh, and my daughter is a millennial and has told me there is no way her or any of her friends could ever afford to live there.

8. Jimmy April 2, 2015 at 12:49 pm #

Agreed on shopping. My wife and I walked through (we are mid 30′s) and maybe found one shop worth going in. It wasn’t our place and we didn’t feel it fit us (even stores we normally shop at didn’t really appeal to us there). Maybe it’s our style. We eat there occasionally but the wait times usually push us away.

This very much ties in to the post the other day. How do they expect this to go in downtown Alpharetta? More apartments, crammed in restaurants in nearly every green space on the front lawn…
    I live close to main street and love the area but saw a very different vision in their email survey this week.

9. JC April 2, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

I am a 26 year old male, who currently lives in Alpharetta and have looked into living at the Avalon. While I do find Avalon appealing since my job is right across 400, you cannot charge $1500/month and expect it to fill up. Not many folks my age are making that kind of money. If you make $45-50kk a year out of college, you are not going to want to spend one paycheck a month on your rent.

Besides this, as somebody noted there isnt really too many lounges or hangouts around that stay open late or offer live music during the work week. Sure the food selection is great, and you have Marlows Tavern and Kona Grill which are cool, but every suburb has one of those. Buckhead really isnt that far down 400, and it will be tough to lure the millennial out to suburban apartments.

I have watched the lease rates at Avalon slowly go down. They were in the $1700 range, but now dropping into $1500. I think if the sweet spot will be around $1200 for them to fill up at that price point.

10. Kara April 2, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

The thing is, Avalon is not near ANYTHING. There are no museums up here, no big parks like Piedmont where you can hang out on the weekend to see and be seen, play with your dog, lie in the grass and read a book, or jog around and look cool. On top of that, Alpharetta has totally demolished it’s historical district, so there’s nothing to be seen or done there.

Avalon is this island of wanna-be-hipster in the middle of nothing (literally big empty fields surround it) at prices that no hipster can afford.

The people who shop and eat and movie-watch and visit there are the 40-somethings or 50-somethings like myself who make 6 figures and can afford to spend $120 on a pair of yoga pants and $160 on a Friday night dinner out for 2.

People like me who make that kind of money and want to live outside of the city-center aren’t going to rent $1700 2 bedroom apartments over he pizza place or want to have a “live-work” situation where everyone walking by on a Friday night can peer into their living room.

I have enjoyed the movie theater, some of the restaurants, and some of the shops, but honestly … as far as a concept and a place to draw people and create community? I have no idea what the creators of Avalon were thinking.

You can’t build Atlantic Station 22 miles up 400 in the middle of suburbia and expect it to succeed.

11. Cool Papa Bell April 3, 2015 at 12:09 am #

Kara, did you really say there are no big parks? Avalon is near many, many parks. Yes Piedmont is likely the largest in the metro area at 189 acres. Wills is probably the largest in Alpharetta at 110 acres. That’s pretty big. And in quantity and quality, one thing the area does not lack is parks.

What is is not near is the crime or the crappy schools in the area of Atlantic Station.

12. Travis Allen April 3, 2015 at 8:08 am #

Kara, I’m apparently not clear on what you consider(ed) Alpharetta’s historic district.

Are you talking about just the old city hall and Eagle Gym? The majority of the “historic” properties remain elsewhere, such as Cumming Street, Canton Street, Roswell Street, etc.

13. John April 3, 2015 at 8:09 am #

The whole millennial thing is a total crock. Always has been. Lee hit it on the head- it is a sales pitch. Only people I know looking at it to buy are empty nesters with grand kids nearby. That is why they went back and increased the rental component when they realized fee-simple residential sales weren’t going to hack it. If you have kids and that much money you are going to live in Milton or Cambridge or Windward in a big house. As a consumer I think the deal is too expensive outside of the restaurants.

That being said the development is still very new and there is a whole lot left to build. Apartments, offices, hotels, etc. Also, there are tons of affordable places to rent right within 1 mile of that site. The office component is the key. They need a marquis tenant in a 12 story buildings next to 400 for this thing to really take off IMO.

14. Travis Allen April 3, 2015 at 8:10 am #

CPB, Wills is large, however I believe Webb Bridge Park is much larger, given it’s trail system and undeveloped portions.

15. Travis Allen April 3, 2015 at 8:30 am #

John, where is Cambridge?

16. SDD April 3, 2015 at 8:32 am #

As an Alpharetta resident for the past several years, my wife and I were really excited to see Avalon rise from the ashes of the previous failed development there. We went browsing there when it first opened, however we have been met with 2 hour waits for dinner, and there are really only a couple of stores that I would buy from. In terms of the residential prospects there, I’m not sure how many young people can afford to live there. Hell, I’m not sure how many older people can afford to live there either. The rent on a 2/2 there is more than the mortgage on my 4500 sq ft. house in Windward. As a potential downsizer in the next few years, I won’t even consider Avalon. And that’s a shame…

17. Kevin April 3, 2015 at 8:46 am #

According to this recent article in the Johns Creek Herald, millennials were never part of the equation to begin with: http://www.northfulton.com/stories/Avalon-sees-residential-sales-climb,70087?.

“…These families range in age from the 20s to 87, with the average age in the mid- to upper-40s, he said, which is exactly what Avalon had hoped. ‘We are looking at professionals, empty-nesters and retirees,’ Munger said…”

With rents starting at $1,500 and ranging to $5,000 per month and sales mostly in the $700k, it most certainly not targeted at those who are early in their career making less than six figures.

The shops are expensive. The restaurants are crowded (who’s gonna wait 2 hours at Ted’s???) and expensive. The sidewalks are narrow. In my mind, it’s a novelty that will soon wear off. It’ll be interesting to see how many of those venues are still around in a year.

18. Cool Papa Bell April 3, 2015 at 8:51 am #

Travis, you may be right. My point was the statement made me wonder if Kara was playing an April Fool’s joke. Alpharetta’s page says they have 700 acres of parks. Furthermore Piedmont is nine miles from Atlantic Station.

Within nine miles of Avalon, you also have access to most of Roswell’s as well as Ocee and Newtown in JC. I think Kara needs to get out more because if she’s looking for parks, this area destroys anywhere intown.

19. Mark Toro April 3, 2015 at 9:03 am #

Lee,

As always, we appreciate you taking the time to report on our progress at Avalon. Given the fact that we are not yet 50% complete (phase 2 will start this Summer), there is much yet to be learned, but following are a few facts for you to share with your readers:

1. We’ve signed +/- 100 leases in 150 days for our luxury rental homes.
    2. Our residents range in age from 18 to 80, with an average age in the low forties.
    3. We have signed leases ranging from $1,500/month to over $5,000/month.
    4. Our residents’ average income exceeds the average for N Fulton…by more than double.
    5. We have no school age children residing at Avalon – zero.
    6. Our residents report their reasons for moving to Avalon: lifestyle, safety and security

Whereas living at Avalon may not be for everyone, it is abundantly clear that we are providing a lifestyle alternative that is resonating with millennials and boomers alike. It is also clear that the typical objections to apartments, school overcrowding and crime, do not apply.

As we advance our plans for next phases of Avalon, we look forward to hearing from the community, for it is through this dialogue that we will craft an Experience that will help make Alpharetta even more attractive for generations to come.

Mark Toro
    Managing Partner
    North American Properties

20. Sewducky April 3, 2015 at 9:09 am #

I initially saw an estimate for the next phase then thought, If I could afford that rent, I could afford a mortgage, especially if I downsised for a year.

I was talking to an “empty nester” a while back. They noted they did some math and found living in forsyth was more apealing tax-wise even though they were planning to move to Avalon in their past.

The place is nice to walk around. It fills up time, I like a few of the stores, and would probably go on a shopping spree there (if I won the lotto, that I don’t play).

Kara, There’s not enough density and interest to support big museums. A lot of interesting places/museums are in driving distance. Please go support them, so they can develop richer programs for your family to enjoy.

21. Kara April 3, 2015 at 9:47 am #

Yowza. Think I hit a nerve. :)

I fully understand why there are no big museums up in suburbia – which was my whole point. If you linked my last sentence about bringing Atlantic Station 22 miles up into the suburbs, you’d get that.

For the record, the historic districts (Canton St, Roswell St, etc.) are in Roswell, not Alpharetta. One of the big selling points of Avalon that I see everywhere are “walking distance from ALPHARETTA’s historic district” which is a laugh.

Which goes back to the comment someone above made about how there’s plenty of stuff to DRIVE around to. The whole point of Avalon was a walking community – walk to downtown Alpharetta, walk to local parks, walk to restaurants and events.

The reason it works for Atlantic station is that even though the museums are 6 miles away and Piedmont park is 9 miles away, there is a huge public transportation system, including Atlantic Stations’ own shuttles. No one *has* to own a car or pay for parking or drive to get somewhere. In Avalon, if you want to get to one of these historic districts or parks, you have to get in your car and drive.

And finally, we have beautiful parks here. I run in Wills 3x a week. I also run in Roswell park. And I bike on the Greenway. However, there isn’t the hang out vibe that you have with some of the parks in downtown, and especially in Piedmont. Our parks are – again – suburban parks. Kids, baseball diamonds, running trails, etc. There isn’t a park with a patio restaurant where you can sit out and have a beer on the edge of the green, that kind of thing.

So I appreciate the comments on what I wrote, but I don’t appreciate Papa or Sewducky’s snide patronizing tone with “why don’t you go to some museums” and “why don’t you get out more”. Asking me to explain is fine. Insulting me is uncalled for.

22. Greg April 3, 2015 at 10:00 am #

First, just to support Kara, I think she was referring to what a millennial is looking for in a park: big, open, grassy area that you can “see and be seen in.” I live near Webb Bridge Park, and work near Piedmont Park. WBP is great, but it’s built for families with kids playing on the playground or in the ball fields. The only opportunity for a millennial to be seen is if they’re walking in the opposite direction of everyone else on the walking trail. And, of course, they’re going to be seen by families, grandparents, etc.

Mark, as you ask for feedback, I’ll reiterate what I said when you first asked for that years ago: green space! Currently there are only tiny spaces to hang out outside – the bocce ball area, the fountain, and the area that the ice skating rink occupied. I understand that Avalon is a “quasi-urban” concept, but remember that for the most part, people moved to North Fulton for the green space, whether it’s in their yard or anywhere else. We like to be outdoors!

23. Millennial April 3, 2015 at 10:13 am #

I would be perfect for this development. I’m mid-20s, just got a new job close-by. I’m currently living in-town but want to move out to Alpharetta because I’m just not willing to spend hours commuting each day. I love that this development brings high-end shopping and one-of-a-kind restaurants to the burbs. Being able to stop by here each day for Whole Foods, a drink with a friend or quick shopping is one of the things that drew me to work in this area.

However, the price point for the rentals is just out of reach for someone my age. I know what my friends and colleagues are making and it just doesn’t jive with the apartments here. If they were able to bring it down a tad, they could probably attract more Millennials like me. But is that what they really want? It’s a family-style development, not a frat house.

24. S Lee Guy April 3, 2015 at 10:30 am #

@Kara – There are Canton and Roswell Streets in Alpharetta as well, and in the “historic district”.

25. Mark Toro April 3, 2015 at 10:44 am #

@Greg thanks for your feedback

26. Cool Papa Bell April 3, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Kara, I’ve had my share of beers during the free concerts at Riverside Park and now Newtown. In the process I’ve met some adults in addition the the adults we were already meeting there. Said events don’t have a restaurant, but they always have food trucks, so you can either pack your own picnic or buy food there.

Please elaborate on specific examples of, “that kind of thing.”

27. Lionel Thompson April 3, 2015 at 11:15 am #

As the resident long-timer here (although I imagine most of you have me beat), there is not much ‘historic’ district to Alpharetta, and what there was has been all torn down and replaced. I joke that when I moved here in 1988 there was only one stoplight in town, the one where City Hall used to be.
    Beyond that, all of the North Point area was farmland and getting to my mother’s office, where HP now resides on Windward, involved a lengthy, quiet ride up Hwy 9.

The city has grown by leaps and bounds for sure and for all sorts of right reasons, between weather and cost of living and at one point, traffic.

If you have family, Avalon would be a lousy place to live. Their ‘dog park’ is a sorry excuse and there are lots, LOTS of single family homes springing up all over the place. If you have a crapton of money and no family, get one of those giant houses set back in Milton or live downtown where you can be seen. I guess if you have the money to burn and for some reason you see Alpharetta as the hip cool place to live (because the suburbs is so much more awesome than VaHi or Five Points), then good on ya.

28. Scott Long April 3, 2015 at 11:17 am #

@CoolPapaBell I think Kara is talking about the Park Tavern right on the Atlanta Beltline in Piedmont Park

(Piedmont Park being 185 acres of true green space with almost no buildings, ironically in the center of very dense and walkable Midtown Atlanta. Atlanta Beltline being a 33 mile network of bike and trails that wind through the city of Atlanta with very little contact with cars)

29. Lynne April 3, 2015 at 11:51 am #

North American Properties and Mark Toro hit it out of the park when they developed Avalon. It is beautiful and has a wonderful feel to it! I always feel good and uplifted while I’m there. I’ve been exceedingly pleased that Avalon is my neighbor as someone who lives in DT Alpharetta. As to an earlier comment, walking from DT Alpharetta to Avalon is totally doable and will feel more so when the land is developed between the two. Mark, I do wonder how long it is going to take for Monte Hewitt to build all their homes at the stated price points. When Avalon hit the news, Monte Hewitt/Avalon was touting they had several thousand people on the waitlist for 101 homes. What happened to those people? Are their price points too high? I think I read recently that Monte Hewitt knew it would take years to develop and sell all those homes. Seems to me that leaves Avalon looking unfinished for a long time. I am also puzzled at the rental prices at Avalon. Why not own at those rates? I also can’t see another 250 or more rentals in Phase 2 with all of the original 250 currently are not leased. Mark, I hope your vision is on target and sound as it only improves my property value, but I have questions. Will Avalon thrive after the next great mixed-use development hits North Fulton/South Forsyth. I was surprised recently to see how many stores closed at North Point. Was it the Avalon effect?
    Lynne

30. Sewducky April 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm #

Kara, Yes the public transportation is not funtional around here and shoots us in the foot. I love living in “walkable” areas, to get around without a car. It would attract milleinials if it existed. For me Atlanta’s transportation sytems are too segmented and crime becomes a factor that keeps me away.

I don’t think public transportation will ever get developed well. It’s suburbia, the amount of space just magnifies the ideas/opinions about developing it. The community (reffering to north atlanta suburbia, not just a single city) has debated long with scatterbrained results. These tend to not work together as intended.

Another big hurdle is devoloping public confidence in the public itself. There are strong fears about transportation bringing a “bad” element to them verses thinking what it could bring them to.

31. Greg April 3, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

CPB, I’ve been at those events, too, and I love them! But to Kara’s point, those are 1) special events, and 2) full of families and middle (and up) aged adults.

Go down to Piedmont Park on a nice weekend day (or any summer evening) and you’ll see what Kara is talking about.

32. Mark Toro April 3, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

@Lynne thanks for your kind words. We are very happy with Monte Hewett Homes’ progress. As you can imagine, we’ve reset a lot of people’s paradigms in order to become one of the few (101) who will OWN The Avalon Experience…we call them The Lucky Ones

33. Cool Papa Bell April 3, 2015 at 3:22 pm #

Greg, I’ve been to Piedmont Park many times, though not a lot in recent years. Of course the biggest park in a major city is going to have more events than any single one of the suburban parks. Is there one major city in the free world where that is not the case?

I agree if one fears affluent nuclear families laughing, Riverside Park is not the place to go. If one fears hobos accosting you or gangtas throwing acid in your face while taking your kids to a movie, Piedmont Park is not the place to go.

FTR, I’ve definitely been to Piedmont Park where I’ve struggling mightily to find a parking spot and have often had to park many blocks away on those side streets off of Monroe. I assure you a large percentage of the attendees own cars and didn’t walk there.

Roswell has asked what residents would like to do with the land they purchased in between Don White and Riverside. There has certainly been talk of a bar and restaurant. So Kara may soon get what she asks for as long as a view of the Chattahoochee doesn’t interfere with the view of the green space.

34. Greg April 3, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

CPB, don’t get offended. We’re just saying you (and I) aren’t the target market for Piedmont Park. And millennials aren’t the target market for North Fulton parks. That’s all – nothing against either group, or parks.

35. Julie April 3, 2015 at 7:32 pm #

Yawn…. I work at Piedmont Park….yea, that’s midtown. Midtown is not Alpharetta, nor should it ever be. The weirdness of it all is placing this strange behemoth -Avalon – in the middle of Alpharetta. There is no integrity to it – integrity: “The state of being whole and undivided”. I seriously doubt NAP is interested in making Avalon/Alpharetta whole and undivided. As for the title of this blog: Where are the millennials? LOL! The millennial are in-town, you silly! Avalon is about baby boomers!

36. Travis Allen April 3, 2015 at 11:27 pm #

Now Lionel has me confused…where exactly was this “historic district” to which y’all refer?

37. Lovie April 4, 2015 at 10:17 am #

I think it’s pretty clear that some people (like Cool Papa Bell) see parks as event spaces or places to visit when there’s something big going on, while others are talking about the parks as integral parts of daily or weekly social life, not as an event space.

38. Glen April 4, 2015 at 6:19 pm #

Well, maybe Avalon is actually doing something to have less expensive food options. I know that I am in the minority, but I really don’t like the product, although the cooki es and chicken tortilla soup are pretty good. http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2015/04/03/chick-fil-a-to-open-avalon-outpost/

39. Jen April 5, 2015 at 9:08 pm #

Kara: i understood your point. Not sure why people attack opinions. Keep wrinting and don’t let the insults get you down. I work with a lot of millenials and they love downtown atlanta and a lot of them actually have bought multiple homes and rent them out to students or their friends still in grad school.

40. Jen April 6, 2015 at 12:40 pm #

Kara is also correct in that nothing is “walkable” near Avalon or within. Alpharetta. When i was in my 20′s and lived in a urban centers walking 5-10 miles to go to a museum was no big deal. Places like new york and boston are compeltely pedistrian friendly and well connected for the young. Everything in Alpharetta is choppy and disconnected. When i lived in NYC and London in my younger days i loved walking for hours. It would take me an hour to walk to school each day and it was better than driving or public transportation. No gym membership required.

41. Family Guy April 8, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

As soon as they get a Buffalo Wild Wings or something similar, I’ll go.
    Until then, “The Collection” is a superior mix of restaurants/shops/entertainment for our millenial family with small kids.

Which is sad, because we live just a couple miles from Avalon.

42. Christina April 16, 2015 at 10:01 am #

Uh, have you seen the prices of those places? No Millennial I know could ever afford to live there, that is why. We love to visit but I know I don’t have that kind of cash and none of my friends do either!

43. J. Lynn April 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm #

I wish I had come across this post sooner because I believe my husband and I are technically millennials (though older ones, born in the mid/early 80s) and we live at Avalon. We moved here from a real city for my husband’s job in Alpharetta and didn’t want to subject him to the commute from ITP. We thought Avalon would be the closest thing we could get to city life out here in the burbs. We’re the mythical unicorns that you guys don’t think exist!

The apartments and amenities are pretty nice. We like walking to Whole Foods and movies. It’s expensive, but not compared to where we came from. The staff is friendly and they have a lot of events.

HOWEVER. And this is a big however.

We can hear the mall music full blast in our apartment. Nothing but Frank Sinatra and his pals 12 hours per day (I work remotely from home so it’s particularly bad for me). We’ve brought this to the attention of the staff several times but nothing happens. They’ll turn it down for a little while but it always creeps back up again. It’s maddening.

So, Avalon’s gonna lose two mythical unicorns when our lease is up just because they wouldn’t turn down the gd mall music.

44. JC May 18, 2015 at 2:10 pm #

I left a comment a few months ago, and just want to follow up since I recently made the decision to move to The Avalon in the next month.

After going back and forth with the leasing office for months, they actually asked me for my input on price and what I thought it would take to draw more people in my age (26). Obviously I noted the $1,500 was a little high, and said $1,200-1,300 for a one bedroom would probably get the ball rolling.

Months later, I see them advertising one bedrooms leasing “from the $1,300s.” They notified me and I went to tour the apartments and was impressed. I did consider Buckhead, but with my office right near Northpoint, living at The Avalon was the obvious choice. With all the future plans that I see and hear regarding downtown Alpharetta, along with Phase 2 of Avalon going up soon, I am pretty excited to be living there. Am I hoping they put in a late night lounge/sports grill? Yes. Is it a huge deal for me that they don’t have one now? No. I think Mark Toro and his crew are listening to what the people want, and I do not think they will disappoint.

Alpharetta is safer than Buckhead, less congested, and much more convienent for me. There are plenty of parks nearby, concert venues, and golf courses. Call me an old soul, but I dont need the Buckhead bar scence on the weekends to keep me happy.

45. Tie Love August 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm #

I’m a Millenial (25) and moving into Avalon within the month. I think it’s absolutely incredible but my taste may be a little different than most younger 20′s. Like JC I don’t need a bar on the weekend to escape to for happiness. I would rather spend time in places like avalon, do activities, exercise, eat, enjoy safe family time.

This is also the type of people Alphertta attracts and why I love the idea of moving here. People are driven, safe, nice and down to earth and value the same things as me.

And most of all, know that my Fiance’ and I our little baby are safe at home and safe to go walk around the neighborhood while I’m gone or at work gives me more peace and happiness then anything else could offer.

We are really really looking forward to living here.