Michael Cross should resign

A lot of people have asked what I think of Michael Cross after this week’s news. So here goes.

michael crossI’ve found Michael to be a pleasant and likeable guy who, as an elected official, has been very approachable and helpful. His voting record suggests that he’s been willing to push back on high residential density, something that’s a rarity these days.

He’s also been booked on criminal charges while in office, twice.

He beat the rap on his 2013 DUI charge. Now comes charges of battery after allegedly throwing a trash can at his wife.

While Cross says he will not run for re-election this year, he should go ahead and resign now. Why?

Distraction.

Alpharetta is on a roll. Hundreds of millions of investment dollars are pouring in. Thousands of high tech jobs are relocating here. The city is the envy of metro Atlanta right now.

What the city does not need are embarrassing news headlines that draw attention away from that fact. The city needs leaders that can stay out of the back of police cars, off trashy reality television shows and otherwise not suggest the appearance of criminality, malfeasance, impropriety or general stupidity. Is that too much to ask?

Secondly, domestic violence is a serious issue that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Ask the NFL about what happened when they brushed off this issue. If Alpharetta handles this in their usual way then you won’t hear a peep about it at City Council meetings. Circle the wagons and wait for things to calm down is the standard operating procedure. That mentality could come back and bite the city, potentially doing more damage than has already been done.

Michael Cross deserves his day in court, is owed due process and presumed innocent until proven otherwise. But what’s best for the city is for him to sever his ties right away. He’s a nice enough guy but he needs to move on from public service.

8 Responses to “Michael Cross should resign”

1. J Kaine March 13, 2015 at 2:13 am #

I agree with your points.

I would say that Michael Cross has definitely put the city in a very awkward position. Since he is not going to be running for another term at least we won’t have to deal with the potential of another negative campaign like in 2007.

It’s disappointing to have further distractions on council after what happened two years ago, specifically with Cross’s DUI and Mitchell’s TV appearance. But, since Cross was able to get the charges dropped and Mitchell has stayed off the radar since then, it looked like that would have been the end of things. Unfortunately, it wasn’t.

I don’t know if he should resign or not right now, it wouldn’t be good to have an empty seat on council for essentially a year. If the situation doesn’t escalate any further than this I wouldn’t be opposed to him staying and finishing the term. If the situation gets worse and it gets more attention and stories from the media, then yes, he should walk away.

2. 26YearResident March 13, 2015 at 3:11 pm #

Anybody remember R. J. Kurey? Now THAT was significantly poor behavior. I can’t tell if Alpharetta excels at embarrassing itself or if we’re just keeping pace with other municipalities. We’ve had plenty of examples of holier-than-thou attitudes that were just as embarrassing. Alpharetta is all grown up now — and its leadership might want to keep up.

3. Will B March 13, 2015 at 8:18 pm #

If I got arrested for DUI and domestic abuse in a calendar year, I’d be fired from my job. I don’t understand why he’s still a member of our City Council.

If he isn’t running again, he needs to go ahead and leave. I don’t drive drunk and throw trash cans at my wife when she ask me to do something — he doesn’t represent me, or what I hope is the majority of Alpharetta.

4. Julie March 13, 2015 at 8:32 pm #

I am genuinely sad to hear of this. I almost don’t want to write anything at all. With regard to your comment that Alpharetta does not need representatives who are on trashy reality shows….here is the only point I ever wanted to make about that: I never thought the uproar about Donald was about a trashy reality show. I thought, and I still think, it was about him being gay. And for a city who claims to be the awesomely modern “technology city of the south” then having a hard time with GAY just doesn’t fit ….Time to move beyond that in your city. I still stand behind my opinion on that. As for this news about Michael….I’m just sad. Very sad. But I have to agree with you….it is time for Mr. Cross to resign. Very sad news. Very discouraging. —Julie Hogg

5. Parker March 15, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Mr. Cross, thank you for your service to the citizens of our city. It is unfortunate that your credibility and therefore your effectiveness as a community leader has been critically damaged by your legal problems, however these were decisions that you made and you need to take responsibility for them.
    Your continued presence on the council will only serve as a distraction to the city and yourself. It is time to do the right thing by stepping out of the role and taking the negative attention with you.

6. A March 16, 2015 at 11:23 pm #

@Julie Hogg–there are actually some of us in the area who are very supportive of the gay community and yes, support gay marriage. What happened to Donald Mitchell, in my opinion, had nothing to do with him being gay and everything to do with disgraceful behavior on a trashy show. Shouldn’t we hold our elected officials to a higher standard?

As another commenter noted, if I had a DUI and domestic battery case against me, my employer would fire me. The same thing would probably happen if I showed up on a sleazy show saying inappropriate things and acting like an idiot.

These two councilmen have to go now.

7. Craig March 17, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Will B said, “If I got arrested for DUI and domestic abuse in a calendar year, I’d be fired from my job.” For being arrested or found guilty?

To quote Lee, “Michael Cross deserves his day in court, is owed due process and presumed innocent until proven otherwise.”

Mr. Cross did not “beat the rap on his 2013 DUI charge”, he was acquitted. The officer didn’t witness him driving erratically. He only saw Mr. Cross “jerk” his vehicle while changing lanes. Was Mr. Cross impaired or was he distracted by his child? A judge decided he was not guilty and acquitted him. Time to move on.

While Michael Cross has been charged with battery, he has not had his day in court yet. He says he was defending himself from his wife who had been drinking. I will reserve judgment and until the courts examine the evidence and rule on the matter.

Michael Cross has done many great things for the City of Alpharetta. I hope he continues to serve our City. In fact, I think he should run for another term. Should he be found guilty, my opinion will be much different.

8. Julie March 21, 2015 at 8:52 am #

Even if husbands and wives everywhere throw trash cans at each other for the fun of it, a call was made to the police. So…..

In any case, either 1) there is something wrong here and we don’t have the full story on Mr. Cross; or 2) Mr. Cross is a man who endures extraordinary, inordinate and even remarkable bad luck.