Alpharetta Restaurant News – October 2014

Let them eat cake!

How bad is it that I have more bakeries to report than restaurants? The pace of new restaurant announcements has slowed considerably over the past few months. Perhaps Avalon is to blame.

Let’s get these bakeries out of the way first. A new location of Nothing Bundt Cakes will open at The Collection Forsyth. Look for them near The Chocolaterie.

Cupcake makers Smallcakes will open on Old Milton Parkway in the same shopping center with Carmine’s and Ipanema. The franchise outfit has a handful of other metro Atlanta locations. I figured by now we’d have several pure-play cupcake makers in town. Looks like it will be just these guys and Jilly’s (and a small outfit in the mall).

piece of cake logoAnd finally, a shop called Piece of Cake will open on North Point near Guitar center. Alpharetta will be the seventh location for this growing Atlanta-based chain.

And in the rapidly expanding breakfast restaurant market… we sound like a broken record reporting on another location of Another Broken Egg. This one will open in Johns Creek Walk at the former Keso space. Nearby is Maverick’s Cantina which opened recently and was reviewed last week.

It will be interesting to contrast Maverick’s to Costa Vida which will open Monday in the Brandon Crossing shopping center across from The Collection. The franchisee here is Forsyth’s State Senator-elect Michael Williams.

Also now open in Forsyth is Pueblo’s Mexican Cuisine. Look for them in a former Chepe’s location on Mathis Airport Road.

And finally, we’re hearing reports from reliable sources that Kababish may be kaput. The Indian/Pakistani restaurant in Milton rolled the dice on an extremely poor location and it didn’t work out for them.

Restaurants Coming Soon

Tower Burger – A towering delay.
The Farmhouse – Coffee and crepe shop opening in Johns Creek.
Boneheads – Grilled fish and peri peri restaurant coming to Windward near Sri Krishna Vilas.
Anabelle’s Table – Promising new restaurant on Peachtree Parkway in south Forsyth.
Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse - About to sell the sizzle on Haynes Bridge.
Made Kitchen and Cocktails – Targeted opening in November for this concept from the Sedgwicks.
Jay’s Mexican Grill and Taqueria – Coming to McFarland in the former sandwich shop.
JD’s Sports Pub & Pizza – Replacing TPS Pizza on Peachtree Parkway in Forsyth.
Eggs Up Grill – Breakfast chain coming to Crabapple.
2b Whole European Gluten-Free Bakery - It’s too bad that 2b didn’t open this month.
Tom and Chee – Grilled cheese shop to open near Chicken Salad Chick on North Point.

10 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant News – October 2014”

1. GRITS October 10, 2014 at 9:28 am #

any idea when Eggs Up Grill will open?

2. A October 10, 2014 at 11:16 am #

I’ve seen Tom and Chee on Shark Tank. Interesting concept, but with people trying to eat healthier I don’t know how a grilled cheese place stays in business. And between them and the chicken salad place, and the lines both will surely get, I know where to avoid having lunch!

3. jb October 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

I can’t remember if you noted that Jilly’s was sold to a new baker/owner. I wonder if they will resurface elsewhere.

4. Travis Allen October 10, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

WOOHOO! Piece of Cake opening up closer than Crossville and Crabapple Roads!

I see the weight gain adding up already. Not the largest selection in the world, but some of the best Carrot Cake that I’ve ever had.

5. Grant Goggans October 10, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

When I lived in Alpharetta in 2000-2003, I watched for almost a full year as a place called Ed’s Mesquite BBQ took what I thought was the longest time ever to open any restaurant, then it shut down after eight months. I’m reminded of poor old Ed every time I read the words “Tower Burger” here.

6. A October 10, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

On Jilly’s website, it does say it was sold to someone in May of this year. That probably explains why they are open on Sundays now; previously they were closed on that day. I wonder if the cupcakes are any better. I always found their cakes to be very dry and the frosting to be way too sweet and way too much piled up.

7. Raj October 13, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Never got to try Kababish, but after reading their menu, never had the desire to. As you can tell by my name, I know quite a bit about Indian food. I think the concept that can thrive despite the location would be a good chaat place. The only one around town is Chat Patti near North Druid Hills Road, and I try to go there every time I am remotely nearby, which sadly is not often enough. There was one place like that in Roswell a few years ago called Chowpatty, but it didn’t last. We have a lot of North and South Indian places, but none specializing in chaat, which to me is the most addictive food on the planet.

8. Scott Douglas October 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Piece of Cake is the best. Jillys opened up in The Mall of Georgia.. Big money for new owners.

9. Robin October 17, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Tried Mavericks on Thursday for date night with my hubby and was really impressed. We’re Nuevo Laredo fans (down on Chattahoochee Ave in Atlanta) and are always on the lookout for decent Mexican food with good margaritas. We had the brisket tacos and the grouper tacos and shared. Both were excellent. Almost on the lines of Pure, without the noise and crowd. Went back on Friday with a co-worker for margaritas on the patio. Very good, fresh tasting margaritas, without lots of crappy stuff in them. We’ll continue to go back periodically for the good food. Hopefully they will be able to stick around in Johns Creek. People are fickle. Also hope they will add a few more items to their menu.

10. Kevin October 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

There are signs – literally – that the interminable wait for Tower Burger may finally be coming to an end. Spotted in front of said establishment are “help wanted” signs for cooks and servers. Could an opening be just around the corner?