Restaurant news interim report

My restaurant news article usually runs the first or second Friday of the month but there’s a few little stories can’t wait for September. Let’s run an interim article this week to catch the latest.

oh boy logoOh Boy Rotisserie & Tacos in Johns Creek appears to have closed. While I’ve not been by to confirm, several readers have emailed and tweeted about it. Opening in June, Oh Boy offered a unique twist on a product that’s rather ubiquitous. Perhaps that’s what did them in.

And the rumors unfortunately are true. Ice cream purveyor Scoops will close their Crabapple location in late September. The store was one of the last full-service ice cream parlors around. I was particularly fond of their banana pudding ice cream. Delicious. Their concept also included gourmet and retro candy similar to what you’d might see at Fuzziwigs. There’s no word yet on what will become of the other Scoops franchise locations. However every other location is well east of metro Atlanta, a little outside our coverage area.

Chicken Salad Chick opened last week in the Stonewalk at Northpoint Commons Shopping Center across from Best Buy. Expect women to outnumber men 3 to 1 when you visit. My first impression was that it was decent chicken salad but not good enough to make a special trip.

The downtown Alpharetta restaurant renaissance continues with the opening of South Main Kitchen. Their first official day was this past Monday. Former F&H alum Louis Soon is part of the team which will make competition with nearby Salt Factory interesting to watch.

Next to open in downtown will be Made Kitchen and Cocktails from the Sedgwicks but they’re likely a few months away. And we’re hearing rumors of another possible restaurant conversion along Main Street in downtown. It should be noted that the explosion of Canton Street-like restaurants is happening organically. We like that. It didn’t take a gaudy mixed-use apartment highrise to bring these guys to town.

And finally on the retail side… the Cumming location of Costco Wholesale opens today. Why am I mentioning something that’s way up on exit 15? Because I really hope this new location cannibalizes from the Alpharetta location!

17 Responses to “Restaurant news interim report”

1. Travis Allen August 29, 2014 at 8:41 am #

I never could get myself to like Scoops. It was a neat idea, they had great people, great personality, neat candies…and flavorless, bland ice cream.

It didn’t matter what I got, they all tasted the same. I tried to like it, I really did.

Their problem, as passed along through various Facebook groups, was lack of business in the colder months. Given the high rent in that location they were unable to overcome that even with strong summer sales.

2. Kevin August 29, 2014 at 9:11 am #

And still no sign of Tower Burger’s opening on Hwy 9 in Alpharetta. Space seems to be built out; fixtures seem to be in place; but otherwise no signs of life.

3. Cool Papa Bell August 29, 2014 at 9:50 am #

How does one become a “former alum” anyway? Is there an annulment process?

Both F&H and Sedgwicks have a solid history of good restaurants, but none bring the warm and fuzzies that the “gaudy mixed-use apartment highrise” roster does. Sorry Mala, but I’ve been to most of the F&H and Segwicks places. So I’m at least speaking from direct experience. I can only call it as I see it…or taste it.

4. RJ August 29, 2014 at 9:58 am #

I–too–hope the Costco in Cumming takes a few people away from “our” Costco on Windward. But I’m not gettin’ my hopes up…I think the Cumming location is just too far away to pull many from Windward…

By the way…I pass TOWER BURGER every day on my way to work…what IS going on with that place?!?!

5. Joe Gillis August 29, 2014 at 10:15 am #

I could not agree more with your last two paragraphs – the organic growth in downtown versus Avalon and the Costco in Cumming taking some of the crowd away from Alpharetta

6. Travis Allen August 29, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

CPB…hilarious man…good point ;)

7. Brent "Guru of Glaze" H. August 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

I’ll be sad to see Oh Boy go. The service had some kinks but the food was on-point.

8. Jen August 29, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Scoops had a great concept and I was planning on having a kid party their once my toddler was old enough. As much as I tried to like the ice cream though, it really wasn’t very good. It always seemed a bit “gummy”. I love ice cream, but something just wasn’t right with theirs. Cold stone is too sweet for me. Brewsters is good, but there is no indoor space to enjoy it. Maybe someone else will take a chance.

Never had a chance to try Oh Boy tacos :( .

If people find costco to crowded, I highly recommend sams club on mansell. I live the same distance to both, and sam’s is so much more quieter, food is almost as good, never a wait in line, gas pumps always available, they take normal credit cards etc (but shhhhh…don’t tell too many people, as I like that it’s not too busy. This secret is just for roots readers)

Thumbs up to the city of Alpharetta for a great “touch a truck” event last weekend! It was our visit time there and my toddler LOVED it. What an amazing city and we greatly admire the firefighters, police officers, SWAT officers and all other great civil servants that took the time to give the kids in outr community a great experience. We waited in line for the opportunity to check out the air ambulance helicopter and as we reached the front, the firefighters quickly moved the crowd away from the baseball field to clear the area for take off so that they could pick up a patient. How cool is that. The kids actually saw the air ambulance in action!! Love it. We are so lucky to live where we live.

9. Jen August 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

Also loving the progress with downtown. This will really anchor the community. City hall is looking great and I enjoy all the green space around it. The retail/loft construction look interesting and I can’t believe how fast the surrounding townhouses are going up. I hope they sell and it helps to bring more businesses downtown.

10. Franklin August 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

In news that should surprise no one, Simply Pizza (the second pizza place in Mama’s Pizza’s old location) has also closed…

11. Dave August 29, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

I went by the new Costco and it was slammed packed busy. Much better parking lot layout than Windward though. Not sure this will take much away from there though…

12. Mike August 29, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Drove by Oh Boy today and can confirm that it is closed. I ate there once and maybe caught them on an off night, but I thought it was terrible. I told my wife that night that they’d be closed by the fall.

13. A September 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Only went to Scoops a few times as we’re on the other side of Milton, but agree with other posters that their ice cream was very lackluster and not cheap either. Bruster’s has really good ice cream, but again as someone pointed out no indoor seating, which isn’t an issue after the sun goes down, but in the middle of a 90+ degree day it’s nice to be able to enjoy ice cream inside.

At least froyo shops aren’t opening up with any great frequency anymore; maybe that will leave things wide open for a really good ice cream parlor in Alpharetta.

14. S Lee Guy September 2, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

I would love to see someone try a craft ice cream concept. I’m talking small batch ice creams made in-house with high quality, local ingredients. Source from a local dairy and promote the partnership, something along those lines. Think it would work?

15. Travis Allen September 2, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Sure, is this close enough for you:

I met with one of the owners at the Sweet Auburn Curb Market in Atlanta last fall and spent about 30 minutes just listening to all the ideas they have. Nice to see that they’ve opened a facility in Marietta.

Not sure how much local ingredients they use, but the 5 or 6 “craft” flavors I have tried have all been awesome.

16. A September 3, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Lee–we went to an ice cream place like what you’re describing up in Nashville. Really creative and innovative flavors (lavender!) and seemed to be all organic, natural, you name it. The place was extremely busy. I can see a place like that working in Decatur, Midtown and other neighborhoods in Atlanta but not sure if people in Alpharetta/Milton/Johns Creek would “get” the concept and patronize it. They might be more content with plain vanilla (pardon the pun) and not venture beyond their comfort zone.

17. Cool Papa Bell September 3, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Travis, though there is not an ice cream parlor concept that carries High Road, it is available all over, both in stores and restaurants. Bite, Adele’s, The Pie Hole are among the many restaurants that have it.

The best dessert food truck is SnoBayou. They use it as well.