Alpharetta Restaurant News – April 2014

It’s been a quiet month for restaurant news, especially following the huge news we’ve followed recently. Nevertheless we’ve got a handful of new joints to report. Let’s get right to it.

The Sedgwicks have been tight lipped about their new concept in downtown Alpharetta. They purchased the empty Coro spec restaurant on Roswell Street a few months ago. The plan is to have a dental practice operate in a big portion of the building. A small restaurant will take the remainder. Rumor is that the place may be called Made Kitchen and Cocktails and will be an Argentinean tapas restaurant. The space will be tiny, even smaller than Pure Taqueria down the street.

Express Burger coming soon signA new burger joint will open on North Point in the former Dahlia Grill location in the Mansell Crossing shopping center. Look for Express Burger and Grill to open in a month or two. I don’t know anything about the concept at this point.

Milton will soon have a new Indian restaurant, something you don’t see often in this part of town. Kabibsh will open on Highway 9 in the former El Molcajete/Zola location. We wish them the best of luck as this is an atrocious restaurant location.

2b Whole European Gluten-Free Bakery will open a small shop at 42 Milton Avenue in downtown Alphartta. They currently operate a business in Kennesaw. They’ll be almost across the street from Mugs on Milton, the new coffee shop who is also making baked goods.

Johns Creekers can expect a few new restaurants this Spring. Senor Patron will open in Chepe’s former digs on Old Alabama. This will be the second location for the Mexican restaurant out of Midtown Atlanta. Chepe’s completely quit the restaurant business a few months back. We’re still watching for activity in their two former locations in Forsyth County.

oh boy logoOh Boy Rotisserie and Tacos will open on State Bridge Road where BB’s Bagels used to be. They’ve got an active Facebook presence if you’re interested in tracking their progress.

Closing last month was Incredible Sandwich Factory on McFarland.

And the Windward location of Tilted Kilt went tango uniform. And while this location lacks some road visibility, we don’t think it will be vacant long. It’s adjacent to the Cobalt Center which will soon have several hundred new IT workers calling it home. Plus the property is managed by Penn Hodge. His stuff isn’t staying vacant long these days.

Opening this month is Big Pie in the Sky on Mansell Road. This is the second location for the pizza joint out of Kennesaw. Mexican restaurant El Don Bar and Grill is open on Highway 9 in south Forsyth. Burger flipper Scratch Fresh has finished their short move to the old Fish House/Boga location.

Tin Roof Kitchen has started a soft opening period this week. They’re in the cute but hidden little space at 52 North Main Street in downtown Alpharetta.

Restaurants Coming Soon
37 Main – A Rock Cafe – Restaurant, bar and music venue coming to Johns Creek. Opening has delayed but is expected in a week or two.
Sip Wine & Tapas – Second location coming to The Collection (fka The Avenue) in Forsyth. Should be open in about three weeks.
South Main Kitchen – Louis Soon’s new restaurant on Main Street in downtown Alpharetta.
Mary’s Bread Basket – Small sandwich chain opening in Forsyth’s Vickery Village.
Utopia Bar – Coming to Johns Creek near Sugo.
Crust Pasta and Pizzeria – Pizza joint opening in Alfresco’s former location on Main and Old Milton.
First Watch – They will anchor the new Twin Oaks shopping center being built on Old Milton and North Point.
Zoes Kitchen – New location at The Collection in Forsyth near Mellow Mushroom.
12 Slices – Pizza joint coming to Johns Creek in former Jersey Boyz location.
Tower Burger – Longest buildout ever but starting to come together on South Main.

10 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant News – April 2014”

1. David J April 11, 2014 at 9:22 am #

I’m not surprised about Tilted Kilt. I would drive by during prime Saturday afternoon/evening college football and the parking lot would be mostly empty. They will have to somehow raise the building to at least street level to be successful. And if they brought back Frontera my wife would be happy.
    We’ll be checking out Scratch’s new digs tonight. Happy that they are moving into a larger location however that location still has a horrible parking lot.

2. Katie April 11, 2014 at 11:44 am #

The new Scratch also has a rear parking lot and the new space is incredible!

3. Katie April 11, 2014 at 11:48 am #

Also – waiting on a review of Kickshaw…

4. JB April 11, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Kickshaw is a winner. We got them to go one night when work had been long and arduous. We got three small plates and that was enough for two for dinner. We had mussels in lemongrass I think, fried shrimp in chili sauce and pad thai. All were very good. I did not see it, but my wife says the space is large and very pretty. Also, the chef was nice.

5. Scsa31274 April 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

The Corner Burger Shop in midway park in Forsyth closed today. Very sad to see a family owned local good burger place shut it’s doors.

6. Katie April 12, 2014 at 5:45 am #

Thanks JB! I can’t wait to try it!
    I’ve been thinking and it’s strange to me that as health conscience as people are these days, myself included, that Alpharetta doesn’t have any vegan restaurants. I would love to see a World Peace Cafe(formerly in Sandy Springs) come to our area. That place offered some of the best good I’ve had!

7. Mala April 13, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Tried out davinci’s donuts based on last weeks review. The space is very nicely done and it the man at the counter was lovely and definately passionate about the donuts. Its obvious this is a family business and the donuts are sold with love (all food should be made with love). I bought the pizza box of 8 and they are adorable donuts and would make an impressive hostess gift or be great for an office party (in addition to just enjoying them on any random day of the week). I like that the donuts are small as there is less guilt in trying the many different flavors. I love Dutch monkey too and like that davinici’s is completely different. I also peeked into the “crust” pizza place on the corner and the new owners are working hard to reinvent the al fresco space. I love the name “crust”, and hope their food is good. This strip mall is close to my house and I want to see businesses do well near me. Looking forward to their opening.

8. Mala April 13, 2014 at 9:49 am #

I also tried “mugs on Milton” a few weeks ago while at the British car show. Another fun and fantastic local business. I dont drink a lot of coffee so had the hot chocolate (as it was raining). The cookies are nice and fresh and we enjoyed the home made cinnamon bun that they only make on Saturdays. The ladies running the counter said they were just approved to create an outdoor patio. The teas look good too, but just wish they would offer cold and hot chai tea lattes for the non coffee drinkers. Everyone should support this great little local coffee place!

9. Ram April 13, 2014 at 10:31 am #

Went to Keso’s Mexican grill in John’s creek last night…was pretty much dead…waiter told me it’s possibly because of Spring break. The surprising thing is that they are opening a branch this Wednesday next to pike nursery near Bethelview (exit 13) and Hwy 9…

10. J April 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

Corner budget shop was really good the times we went there. Too bad as they were super friendly and had good food.