Da Vinci’s Donuts – Main Street

Every Friday Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday. Today we feature a review from Mike Christensen. Follow Mike on Twitter @SCSA31274.

davincis logoThere’s a new player in the doughnut game after your wallet and waistline. And this ones doing it old school.

Ohio natives Andrew and Melissa Rudd have left corporate life behind to follow a dream that began a long time ago in Melissa’s childhood kitchen making doughnuts with her mother and grandmother. Da Vinci’s Donuts opened recently on Main Street next to the defunct Alfrescos. What makes Da Vinci different than all the other shops in town?

They serve an old-fashioned, classic grab-it-and-dunk-it-in-your-coffee kind of doughnut. A cake doughnut. It’s a dense, yet light delicious two bite fist full of flavor. Yes they come from a commercial mix and yes they are less labor intensive than yeast doughnuts but who cares? They’re great! Take a box to your office and time how fast they disappear.

The box is different in itself. Designed to look and function like a pizza box, it keeps the doughnuts in their place. It’s strong enough to stack several dozen on top of each other without the fear of crushing the lower layers.

DaVinci boxThere are tons of flavors to choose from. Flavors range from the classic powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar to the more outlandish Samoa and my personal favorite, maple bacon. Don’t squinch your nose at the thought of a bacon topped doughnut. It is worth your while. The sweet cake combined with the savory bacon tied together with the maple icing? Oh yeah it’s good.

Don’t see anything you like? You can have them build a custom doughnut. Start with a base doughnut and add any type of icing toppings or drizzles that your heart desires. While much of the menu is set, there will be rotating seasonal flavors. New creations are in development like a pineapple upside down doughnut or chocolate mint.

Right out of the gate, Da Vinci’s is putting a large focus on the community involvement. They encourage creativity with a large chalkboard wall in the restaurant where patrons are free to express themselves however they would like within good taste. They also have several items from a local artist for sale in the restaurant. Look for many other local artists work to adorn the walls in the future.

Da Vinci’s opens early 6 AM and closes at 1 PM. On Fridays they reopen at 6 PM and are open until 9, and Saturday they’re open all day long to catch the later day crowds that most of the other unique doughnut shops miss. They make donuts fresh all day long. Look for them to be open on Thursday nights also to try to capture some of the crowds that come downtown for Food Truck Alley.

Da Vinci’s Donuts on Urbanspoon

Da Vinci’s Donuts has a warm and inviting feel to the space like you’re coming into someone’s kitchen. My only complaint is the doughnuts are too darn small. That’s something I’ll have to learn to live with.

15 Responses to “Da Vinci’s Donuts – Main Street”

1. Brent "Guru of Glaze" H. March 28, 2014 at 8:34 am #

I have yet to find a pre-made, topped-to-order doughnut that has been worth the effort. This is especially true for doughnuts from a boxed mix. The assembly line approach works well for the sandwich artists at Subway, but translates poorly to baked goods and fried dough.

2. Cool Papa Bell March 28, 2014 at 10:04 am #

It’s definitely good and unique, though not worthy of the same sentence as Dutch Monkey. Still if I get that area, it’s tough to pass up the vastly superior baked goods at nearby Collet’s.

3. A March 28, 2014 at 10:18 am #

How much are the doughnuts? Seems that’s an important piece of information.

4. Scsa31274 March 28, 2014 at 11:18 am #

A dozen this morning was around 17 bucks

5. S Lee Guy March 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

And I think their “dozen” is really sixteen.

6. A March 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

Thanks! So roughly a buck a doughnut? Their own website doesn’t have pricing, but their doughnuts are smaller so maybe that’s a decent price? Will have to give them a try, and kudos to them for having evening hours on Fridays and Saturdays. I get really frustrated when so-called dessert places close up shop early when they could do well by attracting the after-dinner crowd.

7. S Lee Guy March 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

The lack of a yeast doughnut is disappointing. It’s like why bother with the time-consuming little micro-organisms when you can let chemistry do the leavening for you? They’re missing out on a lot of flavor combinations going cake only.

That being said, I do like their rustic appearance. And they do an amazing salted caramel, perhaps the best around (doughnut or cupcake). I’d put Da Vinci well ahead of Sweet Apple but behind DMD.

8. Mala March 28, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

These doughnuts sound yummy. Can’t wait to try it. On another note I walked into 850F to get a menu one afternoon and take a peek and the space looks great. Couldn’t get a babysitter last weekend and wanted to try the pizza via take out and found it odd that they “don’t do take out over the phone”. Still want to try it though as the menu items sounds delicious.

9. Jimmy March 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Went in this morning and took a minute to figure things out. But they were friendly and helpful. Salted caramel was excellent but dulce de leche was the best. I was craving a boston cream style but that size and type doesn’t do it and that’s okay.
    I like they never really run out because toppings are all there and they will be ready to go.

10. Cool Papa Bell March 29, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Mala, I’d find it odd that a wood fire pizza place would ever allow takeout by phone. I don’t most do, but I’ll never know which do, because I know better. That’s fine for NY style, but absolutely not Neapolitan.

11. S Lee Guy March 29, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

Agreed. Neapolitan style pizza needs to be consumed the moment it hits your table. Goes downhill by the minute.

12. Bunny March 30, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Went to DaVinci’s yesterday morning and the line was about 7 deep. Got the 4 pack, my suggestion is that they could use a little bit larger container as my maple bacon oozed into the salted caramel, caramel apple and chocolate orange ginger. Two of the 4 had to be made and it seemed like they had more toppings than the pre-made others. Loved the crunchy parts of the donut and I think the winner was the maple bacon. For the size, they seem a bit over-priced however, it will not stop me from going back.

13. A March 31, 2014 at 7:19 am #

Checked out Davinci’s on Friday night. The doughnuts don’t look any different than what I could make at home. I didn’t like the whole spreading the icing on the doughnut right in front of you. They use a cake spatula and not that much icing gets on the doughnut. The taste is OK but it’s very obvious these were not made by hand in the back. It’s a mass produced version of a home doughnut, and at $1.35 each, seems high for the tiny bite you get. We love to support local mom and pop shops, but I don’t think we’ll be going back here. If they change to a yeast recipe and make really cool gourmet creations you can’t easily recreate at home, then we’d reconsider.

14. Mala March 31, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Didn’t realize that neopolitan pizza isn’t good as take out.

15. mary April 2, 2014 at 9:47 am #

I want to thank you for all of the great reviews you do. We have discovered great places thanks to you! Blogging is a commitment and you continue to provide excellent content for Alpharetta residents. Thanks!