Finding Food in the Snow

Every Friday Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday. Today we feature an article from Mike Christensen. Follow Mike on Twitter @SCSA31274.

The Great Snowpocalypse is a distant memory to most of us. Last week, snow and ice descended on the South and caused the worst traffic jam that I have seen in my 39 years in Atlanta.

ColdbrewsI work on Holcomb Bridge Rd near Olive Garden. I left work at 3:00 PM and made it as far as Carl Black Chevy on Hwy 9 before turning around and heading back to work. That short sprint took around seven hours. By the time I got back to work, I was starving and was wondering how I was going to survive the night at work without food. Betraying my Boy Scout roots, I was not prepared for anything other than lunch. While I was sitting in traffic, I took note of all the dark restaurants and shops. I was worried I’d have to raid the break room fridge and eat everyone’s left-overs. Sorry, not sorry.

A wave of relief washed over me when I saw that the sports bar next door. ColdBrews was open.  And not only was it open, it was busy. We called in an order and I was dispatched to gather the food. The place was packed. The employees all looked tired but they had a pep in their steps and were very polite. The food took a little longer, but it came out hot and ready.

After slipping and sliding back across the parking lot, dinner was served. I got the basic burger and fries along with chips and cheese dip. The burger was juicy, the bun soft and flavorful and the toppings were plentiful and fresh. I savored every bite. The queso dip however was runny and watery. Not up to standards.

Our belly’s full, we commenced work for the evening. Around 4:00 AM, we needed more supplies, so we headed out into the snow to the only open place around – CVS. Normally this CVS is open 24 hours anyway, but on that night it became more than just a drug store. It was transformed into a shelter for anyone who needed it. Folks were sleeping in the aisles and wherever there was room. They had supplied coffee and doughnuts for free. The shelves were stocked and employees were friendly. CVS was truly a life-saver for those of us who worked a 25 hour shift before we could make it home.

I know that there were others that were not as lucky and did not have the wonderful folks at ColdBrews and CVS to help make it though. Please feel free to share your stories of any Roswell or Alpharetta restaurants or businesses that helped you out during the 2014 Snowmageddon.

6 Responses to “Finding Food in the Snow”

1. W. February 7, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Joses’, the new (and delicous) mexican joint at the corner of Webb Bridge and North Point stayed open and cooked every piece of food they had.

2. A February 7, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Nice of Jose’s to stay open, but if they are run by the same people as the now-closed Rio Nuevo (as I think Lee has confirmed), you won’t catch me there unless there’s another storm and they are the only source of food in North Fulton.

3. Troy February 7, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Glad that Coldbrews was able to provide you with food.

We’ve been dissatisfied with their food in the past. Some of their appetizers were still frozen when they brought them to us. To be fair, we really didn’t have high expectations for food from a place called “Coldbrews”.

Their service was also lackluster.

But they do have beer. Cold beer. And that’s what you’d expect from that place. Also, trivia. So, there’s that!

4. Cool Papa Bell February 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

Jose’s is typical mediocre Tex-Mex. Though not as overpriced as Rio Nuevo, it’s the same unspectacular food with a smaller menu.

Coldbrews is about the raw bar. The regular menu, though improved, is nothing to rave about.

But everything at the raw bar is surprisingly good and much better than the bar menu. Sydney left, which hurt the service level, but Liz and Sam are very good. The rest of the staff can by shaky.

5. Raj February 8, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

Tell me Mr. Taco next to that CVS was closed. It would be a shame to miss eating there any time you get a chance, snow or not.

6. Travis Allen February 10, 2014 at 10:23 am #

Taco Mac at Windward and Hwy 9 was open, so we bundled up the 5 year old and made the short hike up there.

They acknowledged that they were short staffed, but I didn’t notice any drop in service and everyone was friendly enough.

Can’t really give any props to their food, it was as meh as it normally is, but hey, give me the ability to choose from over 100 beers and I’m good to go.