Alpharetta Restaurant News – February 2014

After being open only about a year Alfresco on Main Street has closed. The family operating the restaurant wanted out and sold. The new owner is from Florida and will keep the pizzeria theme. We’re told the new name will be Crust. You’ve got to make a tremendous pie to be in the upper crust of Alpharetta pizzerias. The competition is fierce. We expect additional pizza closures in 2014.

utopia bar logoA joint called Utopia Bar plans to open on Medlock Bridge in Johns Creek near Sugo in the former Sinbad’s Feast space. The owner used to run a bar and restaurant of the same name in Washington DC that featured live Jazz music. We’ll see if this Johns Creek concept is similar.

Back in October we talked about a potential change in concept at Azul Agave on Old Milton. That metamorphosis appears to be complete as they’re now called Agave Tapas Lounge. Part of the concept is Urban Spice, an Indian menu to go along with the Mexican tapas.

Over in south Forsyth’s Vickery Village, OVR Coffee has closed. But opening soon will be Mary’s Bread Basket. This will be the third location for the sandwich joint out of the Jasper area.

And in fast food news – a Subway franchise will open on Windward in the Tara Humata shopping center. Burger flippers Five Guys will open in the North Point Mall food court. This is the same franchisee that operates the North Point Parkway store. And the gas station Burger King at Old Milton and GA-400 has closed.

Now open for your fried seafood pleasure is Fry Me 2 The Moon in south Forsyth. Also open is Great Harvest Bread at Windward and Main Street. And Mugs on Milton, downtown Alpharetta’s new coffee shop, is finally pouring cups of joe.

Restaurants Coming Soon
37 Main – A Rock Cafe – Restaurant, bar and music venue coming to Johns Creek. Their opening has been pushed back to April 1st.
Sip Wine & Tapas – Second location coming soon to The Collection (fka The Avenue) in Forsyth.
Tin Roof Kitchen - Coming soon to 52 North Main in Alpharetta.
Cafe 101 – Coming to the former Shiraz location in Johns Creek.
House of Hummus – North Point Parkway near Mama’s Pizza.
Cuoco Italian Restaurant – The ever renamed Italian restaurant on GA141 near Sharon Road in Forsyth.
Volcano Asian Bistro – Still remodeling  Xian’s old space on Windward Parkway.
South Main Kitchen – Louis Soon’s new restaurant in downtown Alpharetta. We’re told it may feature a rooftop bar.
DaVinci’s Donuts – Still a few weeks away from opening near Alfresco Crust.
850°F Bar Pizza - Neapolitan pizzeria coming to the old Erwood’s location in Crabapple.
Kickshaw Tavern & Grill - Asian steakhouse opening on North Main near Campania.
First Watch – They will anchor the new Twin Oaks shopping center being built on Old Milton and North Point.
El Don Bar and Grill – Mexican restaurant on Atlanta Highway in south Forsyth.
Sweet Monkey Frozen Yogurt & Cupcakes – Froyo concept opening any day now at The Collection Forsyth.
Tower Burger – Slow buildout but perhaps the coolest second generation Sonic you’ll ever see. Also will feature a rooftop bar.

15 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant News – February 2014”

1. A February 14, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I don’t think we need another pizza place in Alpharetta/Milton. Campania owns the space right now, and there’s Brooklyn Joe’s, Z Pizza and Bobby G’s. I don’t count Mellow Mushroom since I was unimpressed the two times I’ve been there and don’t plan to go back.

2. DoubleDach February 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

I’m happy to see more Pizza for the offering. No one’s quite nailed it yet in my opinion, mostly due to poor crust performance. Romeo’s in Crabapple is close to the NY pie I love (but only if ordered by the slice or ‘well done’ to get crispy bottom crust). Mama’s was a let down–soggy cardboard-tasting crust. I’m hoping with a name like “Crust” they know how to bring the good stuff!

3. Cool Papa Bell February 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

DD, I’ve been to the original Romeo’s and it’s okay. The best NY style in the area is Joe’s New York Pizzeria, Roswell Tap, and Alpine Pizza. The best pizza of any style is Campania. There is always room for more great pizza. Will Crust be the answer?

4. Mike T February 14, 2014 at 11:06 pm #

I only ate at Alfresco’s once and wasn’t impressed. Me and my wife went in there shortly after it opened and were told that they forgot to apply for their liquor license in time of the opening (so we couldn’t get a glass of wine) and the pizza was mediocre at best. The only pizza that really stands out to me is Campania.

5. FoodSnob February 16, 2014 at 8:40 am #

The best pizza in town is clearly this little joint we hit in Milton… It’s called D’ominos and you have to call ahead, or there will be a big wait.

6. Mala February 16, 2014 at 11:13 am #

If someone wants to bring a great Italian American restaurant to the area, a good chef needs to go to “al forno” in providence Rhode Island and streal the menu and quality and bring it to alpharetta. Trust me restaurant owners…it would work!

7. Mala February 16, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

I live a few blocks from Al Fresco and really wanted to like this place as it’s nice to have a good neighborhood Italian restaurant nearby. I tried the eggplant parm and it just wasn’t very tasty and the sauce was watery. I grew up with an Italian nonna and she would have shaken her head and gone in the back of the kitchen and remade the sauce. I hope the owners of crust do a little more than pizza. I’d recommend a good quality proscuito sandwich on fresh crusty bread with provolone cheese and drizzled in olive oil (like from Il Paninos of Boston), or a sandwich using st. Danielle mortadella with marinated red peppers (show Americans what real quality cold cuts are and steal them from subway’s nitrate fill meat and processed cheese sandwiches). Try adding affordable gnocchi (since no one makes this around here except Alpine Tratorria but they are overcharging for what is essentially a simple yet delicious potato dumpling pasta) and for me, please add a really good eggplant parm entree. And please make your sauce fresh and tasty and not like it’s from a can and cook your pasta “al dente”. Al fresco always overlooked their pasta and it was soggy the few times I tried it.

An for American parents, don’t just order your kids pizza and fries. Have them try something new. My blue eyed blonde haired 2 year old always amazes the staff at Jerusalem bakery as he eats falafels, hummus, and chicken Shawarma at east once a week there The kid at the counter told us he’s never seen an American kid order anything but pizza and fries at the bakery.

8. DoubleDach February 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

This: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles.html
    Let’s not confuse NY Style with Neapolitan Style. Campania is great for their Neapolitan–I’m a huge fan. Still looking for a home run NY Style slice….

9. DoubleDach February 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Mala, what’s your take on Figo by the Northpoint Mall? I’ve enjoyed eating there (love the gnocchi), but I don’t have an Italian nonna to level-set for me.

10. David February 18, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Just saw a “Space for lease” sign in the windows at Rita’s on Mcginnis Ferry. Bummer.

11. Mala February 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

I love figo. I forgot they have gnocchi as I always get there eggplant dish!

12. A February 20, 2014 at 9:30 am #

Too bad about Rita’s. We used to go there more often, but when you live in Milton it’s a bit of a haul to get to that area.

13. Greg February 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

That is too bad about Rita’s. They were always a supporter of the Windward Waves swim team.

14. Cool Papa Bell February 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

DoubleDach, I can only give you a list. I can’t make you eat there. But every place I mentioned art thou better than Romeo’s.

15. Donna Augello May 2, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Tin Roof Kitchen continues to please. I’ve eaten there 4 times in the 3 weeks that it has been open and each time love it more. If you are gluten free it is a must try!