He went to Jared, but not TGI Fridays

Jared, The Galleria of Jewelry, has filed plans with the city to build a new location at 6250 North Point Parkway. The plans call for new construction of a 5,500 square foot free-standing building.

JaredNorth Point will join four other Jared locations near north metro Atlanta malls – Gwinnett Place, Mall of Georgia, Perimeter and Town Center. Jared’s parent company, Sterling Jewelry, also owns the Kay Jewelers chain of stores. Kay operates a store across the street inside of North Point Mall.

If Jared follows through with their plans they will displace longtime North Point restaurant TGI Fridays. Fridays was one of the original restaurants near the mall, its opening dating back twenty years. One would presume the restaurant would close yet no plans have been formally announced.

In other retail news… Extreme value retailer Five Below plans to open in the Mansell Crossing shopping center on North Point. They sell products that cost no more than $5 targeting teens and pre-teens. The Alpharetta store, located next to T.J. Maxx where Avenue is now, would be the chain’s thirteenth metro Atlanta location.

EnduranceHouseAlpharetta will be the home of the first Endurance House location in Georgia. The chain has a niche focus, catering exclusively to triathletes.  Three metro Atlanta locations are in the works. Look for the Alpharetta store on Haynes Bridge and Old Milton next to Publix in the former Blockbuster location.

Photo credit: M. O. Stevens (creative commons)

17 Responses to “He went to Jared, but not TGI Fridays”

1. mark January 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

Sure they are not going in where the closed Mexican Place is Next to Fridays? Just a thought.

2. A January 8, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

I wish there were more (and better) dining choices close to Northpoint Mall. You have Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen, neither of which interests me. Even across the street there’s nothing exceptional. Rio Nuevo started out promising, but poor service and other bad experiences by myself and many others led to its closure. I don’t care about Friday’s leaving…haven’t been to one in over a decade…but instead of more jewelry, it would be great if an original restaurant concept opened up there and at other sites around the mall.

3. S Lee Guy January 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

@Mark – I checked the plans very carefully. It’s the Friday’s location.

@A – I agree. The best thing near the mall, in my opinion, is Mama’s Pizza which recently relocated from Old Milton. I think higher rents along North Point keep most independent joints away. That’s a shame.

4. A January 8, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

Lee–I’ve heard about Mama’s. Whereabouts is it? I’d definitely try that. I will say the Zoes Kitchen/Chipotle/Corner Bakery strip along Haynes Bridge isn’t terrible if you want a quick, reasonably healthy meal, but we need more indie restaurants around there.

5. Cool Papa Bell January 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

There are so many good restaurants in the area. The further away from the mall they are, the better. Leave the crappy chains for ITPers coming to the mall and the good options for locals away from the hustle and bustle.

I don’t understand why it’s such a bad thing.

6. S Lee Guy January 8, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Mama’s is at 5950 North Point Pkwy next to Figo Pasta. And on Friday I’ll have a new restaurant to report in this shopping center. Stay tuned.

7. A January 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Thanks, Lee. Figo is not bad, especially after the remodel and retraining of servers. And Cool Papa Bell is right that the further away from the mall you go, the better fare you will find. Up Haynes Bridge is the new Collet pastry shop which is fantastic. But for people shopping in and around the mall, it’s pretty much a wasteland filled with chains.

8. Cool Papa Bell January 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

A, I guess I have to ask directly, “but we need more indie restaurants around there.” Why?

I try to avoid that area at all costs. If one of my favorite restaurants moved along that mess, I’d probably patronize them a lot less and probably never in November and December.

9. A January 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

Fair question. I too avoid Northpoint like the plague around the holidays and don’t willingly spend any more time down there than I have to. But when I do have to, for whatever reason, I just think it’d be nice to have more diverse options for dining than national (or local in the case of Figo) chains. Normally we eat at locally owned places like the ones Lee mentions frequently in this blog but if we’re coming from say the Cooler, where my son plays hockey, in the evening, Northpoint is a convenient stopping off point on the way home to Milton.

10. chefmoss January 9, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Spice is probably the best option for dinner around NP mall. I am not sad to see Fridays go if that is the case.

Office Max and The Avenue are both closing near north point mall… is this the beginning of the exodus?

11. Travis Allen January 9, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Is there a link to the plans on the Alpharetta City website?

12. S Lee Guy January 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

@Travis – No, it’s not on the website. Email me and I’ll share a copy of it.

13. A January 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

@chefmoss–good point about Spice being a standout in the area. That’s what I mean about different choices than CPK and Cheesecake Factory.

14. Glen January 9, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

chefmoss Did not know those 2 were leaving Mansell Cssing(?) center. Office Max leaving probably has something to do with the Office Depot merger. That is a large center. I hate to see more vacancies there.
    Food wise in the area, Middle of the road chains are disappearing from the area. Yes, more locally owned restaurants would be nice in the area, but there is nothing wrong with national places that cater to the wide variety of people(different economies and cultures) that live and shop in the area. It seems to be doing good. The new “quad” (Chipolte, Zoes, Polo Tropical, and Corner Bakery is always crowded. Chilis is also always full.Ruby Tuesday, California Pizza, Cheesecake Factory, and Chic Fil A seem to do very well. All of these places and the others like it help the economy of the area. With out those draws( Yes a national name restaurant is a draw just like a national chain like Macy’s is a draw) the downfall of the area would speed up. The main thing is to maintain a good mix of both local and national, fast casual and traditional, and cheap and not so cheap restaurants in the area. Also these places must be supported by the locals.

15. Cool Papa Bell January 9, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Spice? Standout? I knew they changed chefs since the only time I went, but I Googled “mediocre” and a map to Spice appeared.

16. J January 9, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

@Glen very good point.

Haven’t been to a Fridays in probably 10 years so won’t miss it.

We were dissappointed when Champs closed. A sports bar that isn’t a big chain like Taco Mac would be nice in this are. I would also love to see Papacitos but think will have to continue to drive over to Cobb for it.

17. A January 10, 2014 at 10:02 am #

Compared to CPK, Cheesecake Factory and Friday’s, I’d say Spice is a standout on Northpoint. It’s not Michelin star dining, but it’s more interesting than the national chains.