Alpharetta Restaurant News – January 2014

If there’s a theme to this month’s article, it’s relocated restauranteurs. I’ve got two new restaurants to announce,  both from folks who owned restaurants up north and have moved to Georgia to do the same.

The first is Tin Roof Kitchen. Robyn Rowles is a busy suburban mother who also has time to open a restaurant. She’s making us all look bad! She’ll open in a month or two in the cute (but hidden) restaurant space at 52 North Main Street in downtown Alpharetta. Her menu will feature locally-sourced ingredients and offer extensive gluten-free options.

And with apologies to Frank Sinatra, some relocated New Yorkers will open Fry Me 2 the Moon in south Forsyth. They’ll be in the former JP Wat Sub location on Highway 9 across the street from Midway Meal House. Expect fried seafood and veggies. Hopefully Ol’ Blue Eyes will approve.

Moxie BurgerRestaurant broker The Shumacher Group announced recently that they sold Borocco’s in Roswell. The buyer is east Cobb’s Moxie Burger who has confirmed they will open a second location in the space. Look for them at 555 South Atlanta Street.

A restaurant called Cafe 101 will open in the former Shiraz location at Jones Bridge and Douglas Roads in Johns Creek. No other information is known about these guys right now. There’s a similarly named Asian restaurant on Buford Highway in Doraville but it isn’t clear if they are behind this new joint. However, relocating restaurants from Buford Highway to Johns Creek certainly isn’t out of the realm of possibility (see also – Liu Fu).

Also filed under “needs additional research” is House of Hummus. They will open on North Point Parkway near Figo Pasta in the former 31 Lunch location.

Update: Louis Soon’s new restaurant in downtown Alpharetta will be called South Main Kitchen.

And we’ve heard that Casa del Sol in south Forsyth has closed after being open only a few short months. Taking over will be Keso Mexican Grill, presumably the same folks from a restaurant down the road in Johns Creek Walk.

fish house logoLast week we talked about restaurant closures. It’s probably safe to add Fish House in Milton to the list. They’ve been dark for a while now. We’ll probably see this family again in a few months.

Restaurants Coming Soon
Great Harvest Bread – They are saying February now for this sandwich and bread joint on Windward and Highway 9.
37 Main – A Rock Cafe – According to their Facebook page this restaurant and music venue will open March 1st. They’ll be in the old Barnacles space in Johns Creek.
Sip Wine & Tapas – Second location coming soon to The Collection (fka The Avenue) in Forsyth.
Cuoco Italian Restaurant – The ever renamed Italian restaurant on GA141 near Sharon Road in Forsyth.
Volcano Asian Bistro – Coming soon to Xian’s old space on Windward Parkway.
Mugs on Milton – Indy coffee shop opening January 17th in downtown Alpharetta.
South Main Kitchen – Louis Soon’s new restaurant in downtown Alpharetta.
DaVinci’s Donuts – Opening will be the second or third week of February for these cake doughnut makers in downtown Alpharetta.
850°F Bar Pizza - Neapolitan pizzeria coming to the old Erwood’s location in Crabapple.
Kickshaw Tavern & Grill - Asian steakhouse opening on North Main near Campania.
First Watch – They will anchor the new Twin Oaks shopping center being built on Old Milton and North Point.
Sweet Monkey Frozen Yogurt & Cupcakes – Froyo concept to open at The Collection Forsyth.
Tower Burger – Slowest buildout ever. But the Sonic conversion should look cool on South Main.
Dunkin Donuts – New construction on Peachtree Parkway near Dutch Monkey Doughnuts.

19 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant News – January 2014”

1. Lindsay January 10, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Does this mean Main Street Kitchen is no longer coming to Alpharetta??

Also, Dunkin Donuts in S. Forsyth is already open :)

2. S Lee Guy January 10, 2014 at 10:33 am #

They are not coming to 52 North Main. I’ve heard they are still interested in Alpharetta, just don’t know where.

There will be two Dunkin Donuts in south Forsyth. The location at McFarland and Highway 9 is indeed already open. The other location is on 141 very close to Dutch Monkey Doughnuts. I don’t think this one is open yet, but I could be wrong.

3. ccastro January 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

The DD on 141 is open. With the Dunkin Donuts on McGinnis at Old Atlanta Road, that’s 3 total for South Forsyth. We sure love our donuts :)

4. A January 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

52 North Main seems to be a cursed space. I think 3 different businesses have been there since we’ve been in the area. It’s a great building, but you can’t see it from Highway 9, and even from the little side street it’s tucked way back. I wish Ms. Rowles the best and plan to give it a try. Hopefully she can make her restaurant work there.

5. S Lee Guy January 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

My bad. I stand corrected. The new Dunkin Donuts is in fact open. You can throw a baseball from here and hit Dutch Monkey Doughnuts. Why anyone would eat at DD is beyond me.

Hopefully with all the new downtown restaurants, Tin Roof will have a tailwind that her predecessors didn’t have. But it’s still a hurdle to overcome.

6. Heidi January 10, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

My husband could swear he heard a Jersey Mike’s was opening somewhere in Cumming. I figured you’d be the person to ask..

7. Eric January 10, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

Lee, plenty of us enjoy Dunkin’. If you take the kids to Dutch Minkey and throw in a few beverages, it’s the price of a full meal. Dunkin’ has excellent coffee and I was surprised how good their hash brown tater tots are. I think if you’re transplanted from New England, Dunkin’ is burned into your DNA. As for the 141 location, it’s simply brilliant and ruthless. I think the franchisee group here must have clearly seen the high demand that DM had, but also realized that they can be price prohibitive, whether it’s real dollars or just the sense that a lot of people that just want a simple doughnut, don’t want to pay the price of a pastry. Don’t misunderstand here as I’m not knocking DM, rather just seeing that there is clearly a doughnut/coffee demand in the area that still has plenty of untapped potential.

8. Cool Papa Bell January 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Don’t know if it’s an urban legend or not, but supposedly the Papa John’s at 10th and State in Atlanta has been the highest revenue one in the country, yet it is right down the street from Antico Pizza.

It’s the same with DMD vs. DD. Those who just want cheap crap to stuff in their pie holes support Papa Johns and Dunkin Nuts. On the other hand, Antico and DMD appeal to those who actually have taste buds.

Quality comes at a price, but there ain’t no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

9. Scsa31274 January 14, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

I admit it, I love DD. It’s what I was raised on. I like DMD and sweet apple. I’m not a doughnut snob. But I do like my money and if less of it leaves my pocket and I get doughnuts that honestly taste around the same, I’m doing it. And if the cost is right, the doughnuts are hot, but maybe not as good, well two out of three ain’t bad

10. Travis Allen January 15, 2014 at 8:29 am #

sigh…I’ve already been yelled at for saying I didn’t like DMD, and prefer DD and KK so can’t really add much here. It’s just not my thing, maybe they were just too rich for me, and I still think (after another visit) that there is just too much filling in the boston cream and jelly filled…I want to taste the doughnut too…kinda like cupcakes with more frosting than cake.

That being said, I did like their maple bars and some of the non-filled varieties, but the distance from my house as compared to a KK and 3 DD’s doesn’t make it worth the trip from Milton/Alpharetta.

11. Travis Allen January 15, 2014 at 8:30 am #

I do like Sweet Apple…the non-filled varieties, and have had nothing but outstanding experiences there. Maybe the lack of out of control children during my visits has helped.

Has anyone tried Sara’s Donuts in Johns Creek?

12. Franklin January 15, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Wow! Two Meat Loaf references in back-to-back posts!!

That and the doughnut discussions are making me hungry!

13. JP January 15, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Love the Meatloaf wordplay! Here’s my 2 cents on doughnuts: I don’t eat them as they are terrible for you. However, if I was going to eat one, I surely would limit the size/caloric intake, so DD is just fine by me.

14. Scsa31274 January 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

Hey charge me how much DMD? I would do anything for doughnuts, but I won’t do that

15. RLC365 January 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

Sara Donuts is amazing and they are great partners to the local school community. They aren’t cheap like DD but the flavor is amazing. If you eat Sara you can’t possibly go back to DD. KK though is still amazing but since I live in Johns Creek, Sara is the way to go. (P.S. It is named Sara Donuts, no S at the end of Sara)

16. Cool Papa Bell January 16, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Agree with RLC. Sara Donuts is for people who like the more traditional kind as opposed to Pacific Northwest style of DMD.

The menu at Sara is much more analogous to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ but destroys them in quality. Like Dunkin’ you have to eat about four Sara to equal just one at DMD, but I agree it’s tough to eat a DD after trying Sara.

17. Travis Allen January 22, 2014 at 8:12 am #

Finally went to Sara Donuts this morning…loved it! Much better Boston Cream than KK or DD. Regular glazed donuts were good, but I’ll stick with KK on those. Guess I’ll have to try an eclair next time. The cake donuts were a notch above DD and KK’s offerings.

For regular Creme/Cream/Kreme filled I guess I’m stuck with DD and KK…

I did try a few of their selections that included sausage wrapped in the dough and they were great too, that’s something you won’t see at KK or DD.

18. Mala January 26, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

I loved all the doughnut/donut discussions! Very fun.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. New Restaurant & Market Roundup in Forsyth County, GA | Forsyth for Families - March 9, 2014

[…] Collection Forsyth Chipotle – Market Place Blvd. Firehouse Subs – Market Place Blvd. Fry Me to the Moon - Highway 9 Uncle Maddio’s – opening mid-2014 Dunkin Donuts – Peachtree Parkway […]