AMC North Point Mall 12

Today we feature a post from Mike Christensen. Follow Mike on Twitter @SCSA31274.

AMC has given me a new reason to go back to the mall.  Well, not the mall itself, but the theater.  We’ll get to that later.

AMC logoAMC North Point Mall 12 is the new theater on the block in Alpharetta.  It blends a new theater experience with the classic movie shows of old.  There are plenty of new things to talk about.

Let’s start with the seats.  Huge, red, leather and electronically reclining.  How’s that?  Every theater has them except the IMAX which features a rocking style seat. The leg room is outstanding.  I couldn’t even reach the ones in front of me with my feet.

The larger seats do lead to another quality.  Each theater has a reduced capacity, normally around 65. Expect more sell outs. They make up for that by offering reserved seating.  This is new for us here in Alpharetta.  When you buy your seats online or at one of the six kiosks outside a map of the theater will appear and you can choose the seats you want.  The rows and seats are marked just like any other venue would be.  Pretty neat.  None of this “everyone scoot toward the center to make room for everyone else.”

The concession stand has been redesigned and turbo charged.  It is set up so you order at one counter and pick up your popcorn at another counter.  It’s supposed to reduce traffic and people crowding around waiting. But there is no real traffic flow.  You order and end up working your way back through all of the people waiting behind you.  There are two display cases with drinks that funnel moviegoers to the two center registers.  They trap people in there making it even more difficult to get out.  They also cause people to forget that there are other registers to go to.  Between the two counters are four of the fancy Coca Cola Freestyle machines.

New food options like Philly Cheese steak or chicken sliders are far from the normal popcorn.  Calorie counts are posted as well.  If the prices weren’t enough to keep you away, those certainly will.  For more adult patrons, a full bar is available.

The majority of the area outside is covered and there are several drop off lanes right in front to reduce car traffic.  Great ideas.

As awesome as it all is there, North Point Mall 12 isn’t without some flaws.  Some are pretty major.  The bathrooms are small.  The theaters are a long distance from the concessions.  The AMC Avenue Forsyth has all the theater entrances right off the lobby.  North Point has you walk down longer hallways like in older theaters.  You will miss a lot of the movie to refill your soda or get another beer.

The theater is located on the backside of the mall near the Von Maur.  Very low visibility.  You won’t see it from the road unless you know it’s there.  And there’s no mall entrance.  There’s an entrance near the box office but you have to go outside first.  It seems that the merchants in the mall would want people to come shop and eat and hang out before or after a flick.  They are missing out on a lot of business. It’s getting people to the theater and not necessarily the mall itself.

Ticket prices range from an average $12 to a staggering $18 for the IMAX 3D.

The nearly 25 year old AMC Mansell Crossing 14 theater down the street will remain open for now. However it may close once its lease is up.

I’m a sucker for all the new fangled stuff so AMC North Point Mall 12 just might become my go to theater.  I’ll see you at the movies.

11 Responses to “AMC North Point Mall 12”

1. Travis Allen November 21, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Darn…come on now Mike, I was hoping to keep this venue my little secret for now.

We attended a showing of the latest Thor movie last week and there were only maybe 10 other people there which was odd considering the movie was only in it’s second weekend and the parking lot down the street was full. It finally hit me that most don’t realize this new theater is open yet.

The seats were very comfy, although if I leaned back a little too far there was a glass partition that obscured the bottom 5% of the screen.

I recall asking when it was announced that there would be no access from inside the mall and security was cited as the reason…funny considering the AMC locations at other malls all have that access, especially Sugarloaf Mills which from what I could tell, has to be accessed from inside the mall.

In response to folks having to walk too far to get refills, do people really do that? I don’t recall ever leaving during a film…I’d hate to miss anything. Anyways, my thought is that this relates back to not having a centralized entrance and placing an offset entry nearest to the Mall entry as possible.

When the AMC Mansell Crossing opened they had extra concession stands setup down the hallways, it’s been awhile since I’ve been there, so not sure if they are still there, although I hardly remember them being staffed. One small correction, the AMC Mansell Crossing opened in June of 1994, so I think you meant to say nearly 20 years old, not 25 ;)

I don’t believe the prices were any higher for our standard 3D tickets, or if they were, it was only maybe a dollar a ticket.

2. S Lee Guy November 21, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I also agree that the lack of mall access is a concern. The newly renovated AMC at Phipps Plaza has mall access.

Maybe I’m just cheap but the ticket prices may keep me away. My wife and I often go to the old Cumming theater. It’s several dollars cheaper.

3. Scsa31274 November 21, 2013 at 9:57 am #

My exact point Travis. No one can see it so no one knows it’s there. I did see an ad for it last night while I was writing this ironically. Mansell does have those extra concession but they are hardly ever open so meh. Mansell doesn’t make you walk as far as some theaters do to get to the theater. I did notice that the seats did recline a bit far to make it comfortable to see the screen. As for me I never leave the theater if I don’t have to. (Need more drink, bomb scare, explosive diarrhea) and never hit the concession stand in general so not too concerned personally about those items but they are worth mentioning. Maybe when Mansell closes, people will look for another theater and find the new one. The Sugarloaf one and North Dekalb mall AMC both have you walk through the mall to get there. When we hit a late movie we had free reign of the mall when we were let out so I can see not wanting folks milling about inside after hours but you are cutting off a revenue stream for the mall.

4. W. November 21, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I’ve gone to two movies there so far. The 32oz beer and recliner has put me to sleep in both.

5. Glen November 21, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I was up that way yesterday. I would recommend staying away from this weekend thru mid January. Parking is going to be a big problem during the holiday shopping season. Not having entry into the mall could be an issue, but I doubt it. Not much happening on that end of the Mall. No food options, A really big mistake for Northpoint. If there was a restaurant(even a fast casual place) right inside by the theatre, then I see the need for inside access.

6. A November 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Studio Movie Grill has been offering reserved seating for a while, and that’s specifically why we go there more often…the frequent Groupons help too so you get a movie for $5. The thought of spending $18 on IMAX 3D doesn’t appeal to me at all, and even $12 for a normal movie seems high. That said, if there’s a deal out there for AMC or Fandango, we might check out the new theatre…after the holidays!

7. K's mom November 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

My husband and I went to an early movie on a Sat an our tickets were $7.00 each……same price for the same time movie up on exit 13. I did notice that the later the movie is, the higher the price goes.

8. B November 25, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

W – you can drop $30 to sleep in my recliner anytime. Know someone else who frequently sleeps in movies…

9. Dave November 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

We’ve seen 3 movies here so far. It’s spoiled me for other theaters, the experience is that much better. I love the reserved seating and the recliners, this is my new go-to theater (previously AMC Forsyth).

10. Kelli November 30, 2013 at 12:37 am #

I went for the first time last night (on Thanksgiving). I’ve attempted the movies before on that night only to be denied b/c it was full, or my patience for the line ran out.

I did order my assigned sets online so I wasn’t worried about that, but I am shocked at how few people were there on such a big movie night. I think some people state away to shop (because as I was leaving the mall around 9pm the parking lot was jammed, and others just don’t know it’s there. But I thought it was great overall. Concession stand location doesn’t concern me. I got a small popcorn & small drink, but couldn’t finish either on my own. Bathrooms could be an issue – ladies had a long line. I didn’t wait – just went home. But if I had to go during the movie I would have been super frustrated.

The lack of mall access is a little odd, but now that I’ve been in there, it seems as if they were to put a door in, it would be right in the middle of the IMAX screen. And I do understand them wanting to contain people to that parking area, rather than wandering through the closed mall for safety reasons. I think they should just add better signage inside the mall so you know where to go if you ARE at the mall and decide to catch a show. But loved the comfy seats, leg room, cleanliness, polite staff, and Coke freestyle machines.

11. c December 15, 2013 at 5:24 am #

I dont know how people can complain so much bathrooms are one possible issue but no mall entrance come on they serve alcohol and that is the security issue but the staff were great my family Friday and Saturday and it was awesome. The staff was informed on everything from food ingredients to details between imax and prime. I believe his name was Zeke or Zack but he was fantastic and very passionate about both the prime and imax and their differences from 48 frames per second in imax to I believe it was 150,000 Watts!!! of sound in the prime which has different black recliners. We promised we would come back to buy our stubs card from the employee also but we forgot after experiencing prime And they dont have burgers it chicken, Philly cheese steak, pizza or pretzel sticks(salt or cinnamon) awesome. We will be back for sure.