MARTA public meeting is tonight!

MARTA connect 400 logoOfficials from MARTA will hold a rare public input meeting TONIGHT at Alpharetta’s City Hall. The topic of the day – expansion of the heavy rail line from North Springs to Windward and the billions it will cost.

We talked last month about the sorry excuse for a study MARTA’s conducted thus far. Two weeks ago Alpharetta’s City Council seemed to agree, giving a tongue lashing to MARTA officials who spoke before a meeting. At issue was the lack of participation from Alpharetta residents. Unfortunately this may be one of the only remaining chances local residents have speak out.

The meeting will be in the Council chambers from 6:30 until 8:30. If you’re unable to attend you can watch the proceedings online at the city’s video portal. Citizens can also email opinions directly to MARTA using the email address connect400@itsmarta.com.

Regardless of your opinion of heavy rail expansion, please make your opinion known through one of these means. And if you’re at the meeting tonight, look for your favorite local blogger and introduce yourself!

9 Responses to “MARTA public meeting is tonight!”

1. James Drinkard (City of Alpharetta) September 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

MARTA just advised that the formal presentation tonight will not begin until 7:30 PM. From 6:30 – 7:30 PM they will conduct an informal open house for those who want to just drop by to see their displays and ask questions. The formal presentation and comment session will be from 7:30 – 8:00 PM.

My apologies for any confusion or inconvenience. We are working from the information being provided by MARTA.

2. Mala September 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

I really don’t see a reason why we should be connected to atlanta. People like me love alpharetta and have no need to go downtown. If you work downtown on in the perimeter, please live there.

3. Mala September 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I’d love to see alpharetta independent from other areas and have an internal city trolley for residents only.

4. Mala September 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Hi lee, this is a bit off topic, but I know people on city council read your blog and I’m curious about if they fought for the new Baxter biotech facility that is being built in Covington, GA. I’ve worked in the biotech manufacturing industry (prior to my husband being relocated to Alpharetta where ther is no biotech) and am surprised that a facilty of that magnitude and high paying jobs is moving to an area of Georgia that is pretty much in the middle of no where. I’m often conacted by recruiters to work in that facility, but ther are no good schools near by or even restaurants. Biotech manufacturing (because its highly regulated by the FDA) requires the majority of its staff to have at minimum a college degree (even if you are a line worker or technician and the jobs pay very well. It seems like alpharetta or cumming would be an area where the talent pool required by these companies would want to live. Right now a lot of biotech is in expensive areas like CA, MA, or NJ. I think people would leave those area to come here, but don’t know a lot that would go to Covington? Just wonder if city council is fighting for biotech facilities or will they continue to lose these businesses to areas in the middle of no where?

5. S Lee Guy September 27, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Mala. From what I understand, a lot of factors come into play in the corporate relocation business. Local municipalities may be involved but often are not. They can create incentives like the economic development zones that Alpharetta and Milton have recently put into place. But otherwise state officials lure them to Georgia, then regional factors come into play, followed by local chambers of commerce, etc.

Why did a firm pick Covington over somewhere else? I dunno. Maybe they got better tax breaks there. Maybe someone knew someone, or the president of the firm had family there. There are just to many variables.

Alpharetta’s got some biotech though. And recently in the news was Allnex who choose to relocate to Alpharetta because of incentives and available laboratory space on Westside Parkway.

6. Mala September 27, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

Thanks for the info. I was just curious as I haven’t really seen many new business come to alpharetta. Lab and research facilities are ok, but more money comes in from biotech manufacturing. Its also a very interesting business (no offense, but way more fun than software).

7. Julie Hogg October 5, 2013 at 8:11 am #

@ Mala. Actually, McKesson, located off Windward Parkway, is a huge player in biotech field, though not specifically in the same fields as Baxter.
    With regard to schools influencing real estate decisions by large firms…I think it matters, but I also think that a well educated workforce influences schools immensely, and so it works both ways. Case in point, Oak Ridge, TN which has test scores par excellance, reflecting a well educated workforce.

8. Sam October 17, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I m all for extending Marta to windward pkwy
    I lived in Alpharetta for past 10 years and have seen city grown. As city has grown so for need for entertainment. Honestly I would attend more sports games braves hawks and falcons with better transportation. In fact having Marta connection will help bring more companies to Alpharetta because you can sell them on transportation to down town.

9. steve November 17, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I welcome marta to come out to alpharetta for covenience and opportunity of others. We need more opportunity and expansion. People have the right to livein an area and have convenience. Mala if you dont like mass transit, instead of telling people to move toward the city, why dont you move to run down buford or more north. Also, organizations move to places to help that economy and to save taxes that is why the organization you refeered to moved to covington. Its not just about you, there are millions of people in this world.