Alpharetta Restaurant News – September 2013

It’s been a busy month following restaurant openings… in south Forsyth. Alpharetta has been a little slow for some reason.

Myzenes logoThe biggest news in south Forsyth has gotta be Myzenes Indian Coastal Cuisine. They will open in the Stonebridge Promenade shopping center on GA-141 a little north of McGinnis Ferry. I don’t know much more about the concept, but Indian seafood sounds interesting.

I’ve learned a little more about Collet French Pastry. They will open in October on Old Milton Parkway in the Sabri Guven shopping center. Francois Collett will indeed be here working in the back of the shop. They’ll be open seven days a week featuring French pastries such as macarons and croissants and will have a coffee bar. A small lunch menu will feature quiche, crepes and pate en croute.

A few weeks ago I met Jim Prince, the new owner of Firefly on Windward. He will stick with the Firefly name and concept with a planned opening later this month. The menu will keep some of the old Firefly items but otherwise be completely new. Prince was behind the former Fratelli di Napoli on North Point Parkway. We wish him all the luck in the world. He’ll need every bit of it.

Mama’s Pizza has opened on North Point Parkway, relocating from Old Milton Parkway. Also now open near the mall is Pollo Tropical and Chipotle. Pollo Tropical is getting horrendously bad reviews online. My only visit wasn’t positive either. There are far better alternatives in the area. For example…

Cafe Caribe opened September 3rd in the same shopping center as Myzenes in south Forsyth. This humble little Cuban joint has potential. Their lunch menu features “media noche” Cuban sandwiches. My fellow Florida natives will know what this means.

And back in south Forsyth… 7 Tequilas Cantina and Corner Burger Shop are now open on Post Road in the Midway community. Casa Del Sol Mexican Grill opened last week on Hwy 9 and Bethelview where Bad Bob’s BBQ used to be.

Chepe’s Mexican Grill has closed their south Forsyth location on Mathis Airport Road near Old Atlanta. Their Bethelview location remains open as does the Johns Creek store.

And also abruptly closing this month was Chill Restaurant & Lounge on Haynes Bridge. Restaurant broker Shumacher Group reports that the owner relocated out of state. You can buy the restaurant for $225,000.

Restaurants Coming Soon

Salt Factory – Delay, delay, delay.
Rosati’s Pizza – No word on when they will open but probably soon. They’re in the old Buckhead Pizza location across from The Collection Forsyth.
Philly Factory – Franchise cheesesteak joint opening probably next week on Old Milton Parkway.
Tower Burger – The slowest buildout ever. Still got a long way to go on this South Main Street burger joint.
Great Harvest Bread – Sammich chain coming to Windward next to Mambo’s Cafe.
Main Street Kitchen – Coming to the old 52 Bistro space on North Main Street.
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe – Alabama-based chain coming soon to Windward Parkway.
Jose’s Mexican Grill – The sign is up and the menu online for this new joint on North Point and Webb Bridge.
Hurricane Grill – Franchise wing joint out of Florida. They’ll open next week in Johns Creek on Medlock Bridge Road.
Dunkin Donuts – Building two new Forsyth locations; McFarland at Hwy 9 and Peachtree Parkway near Dutch Monkey Doughnuts.
First Watch – They will be in a new strip mall on North Point and Old Milton behind the huge oak tree. Land being cleared now. 2014 opening.
Corner Bakery Cafe/Zoe’s – Almost open on Haynes Bridge.

12 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant News – September 2013”

1. Zeus September 13, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Shame about that Pollo Tropical. From what I can gather, the problems (and there are many) are limited to this location. The unit near Town Center in Cobb gets a lot of love online and is always busy.

2. Travis Allen September 13, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Dang, you weren’t kidding…only two positive reviews, and you’d think maybe those folks went to a completely different location. I was able to check out the Corner Burger Shop last week during lunch and they were great. The owner and I spoke briefly and he was super nice. My burger was out fast (granted there were only about 4 other people there at 11:15) and was great!

3. A September 13, 2013 at 11:59 am #

I think everything in that plaza on Windward with Firefly is cursed. There’s been a rotating Indian place in one location, Artuzzi’s, which is around back and has seen better days, Yoforia which closed a while back and more. I think J. Christopher’s may be the only solid business in there.

4. Cool Papa Bell September 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Philly Factory franchise for cheesesteaks? Do you mean Philly Pretzel Factory?

5. Kelly & Michael September 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Every day I drove by Cafe Caribe on my way to work, waiting patiently until the Open sign went up. Finally it happened and stopped in to check out the menu. What I saw made me homesick for the Island where I grew up, Puerto Rico! There are both puertorican and cuban items, which is a great combination. I met the owner who was a little shocked a blue-eyed red head spoke fluent Spanish until I shared my roots with him. The food was great, beef empanadas, masas de puerco con arroz y gandules, a “choripan” sandwich with chorizo, lechon asado, cebollas, queso suizo, mayonesa y mostaza. With a side of tostones. What else can I say, I am a happy girl! Oh, and yes, my Texan husband has been converted to an honarary Hispanic. I wish this new location all the luck in the world!

6. S Lee Guy September 13, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

I’m pretty sure the Philly place is a cheesesteak joint. I could be wrong though.

@Kelly – I went back today for lunch and was impressed with the picadillo and black beans. Very rich and robust flavors. As a Tampa native, this place reminds me a lot of home. Simple menu, family run, inexpensive and huge portions.

7. Travis Allen September 13, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

@A…people tend to forget the businesses that have managed to do well there, Jason’s Deli, Mellow Mushroom, and Starbucks

8. J September 15, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Where is Cafe Caribe located? I can’t find them online for an address to check them out.

9. Kim September 15, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Agree that Pollo was unimpressive.

10. S Lee Guy September 16, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Cafe Caribe’s address is…
    3455 Peachtree Parkway
    Suwanee GA 30024

They are on GA-141 north of McGinnis Ferry and south of Laurel Springs.

11. Dave September 25, 2013 at 9:23 am #

If the Philly Factory is a chain, they are doing a good job of hiding it. I can’t find anything online about this place, I keep getting references to the Philly Pretzel Factory. We had one of those on Hwy 9 a while back but sadly they closed.

12. Mike October 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Philly Factory is a family owned grill. Use to run great steak at northpoint mall. Mom at register and pop running the kitchen. Great cheesesteaks and wonderful homemade cookies. I liked :)