Alpharetta Restaurant & Retail News – June 2013

Don’t have a ton of new stuff to report. But there’s some restaurant news out there that’s sure to generate some conversation. Let’s get right to it.

Legendary breakfast joint BB’s Bagels announced this week that they have closed their second location on State Bridge Road. According to posts on Facebook and Twitter, the restaurant thought the karma of this location was off and that they were jeopardizing their brand. I agree that this location didn’t quite have the same vibe as their original McFarland store (which thankfully remains open).

BB’s continues to talk of franchising plans. Will a franchise store be immune from the karma issues that doomed their second corporate-owned location?

Also closing is the Johns Creek location of the Tilted Kilt. The “breastaurant” chain continues to operate a location on Windward. Could it be at risk of closure as well? A few years back the television show Undercover Boss was filmed here.

Replacing Tilted Kilt in the Medlock Crossing Shopping Center will be Hurricane Grill. This will be the first Georgia location for the Florida-based chain of wing joints.

Fish House Seafood Kitchen has opened in Boga Taqueria’s old space in Milton. Missing is the promised lunch buffet. I was also able to confirm that this is the same family that owned The Shrimp Basket just around the corner. Some Milton gastronomes will be able to draw an opinion based on this fact alone. So that’s all I’m going to say about Fish House!

Chill Restaurant and Lounge is now open for dinner only. The restaurant will offer upscale Mediterranean cuisine. Look for them in the enormous old Rainwater location on Haynes Bridge.

Also opening is Kitchen of Atlanta down in Johns Creek Walk. This is a small little restaurant offering sandwiches, burgers, pastas, chicken wings and a little of everything.

And just when we thought they weren’t gonna make it, OVR Coffee Cafe has opened in Forsyth’s Vickery Village. Look for the vegan bakery and coffee shop in the old Mommy Francis space.

Restaurants Coming Soon

Branchwater – Concept from Todd Hogan coming to Vickery Village in Forsyth.
Salt Factory – Their sign still says “February 2013″. Looks like the buildout has hit a few snags.
Main Street Kitchen – From the folks behind Roswell’s Nine Street Kitchen. They will be at 52 North Main.
Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe – Alabama-based chain coming soon to Windward Parkway.
Hop Alley Brew Pub – Brew pub coming to downtown Alpharetta.
Draft Beer Market – A growler store to open on Jones Bridge in Johns Creek.
Casa Del Sol Mexican Bar and Grill – Mexican joint in Forsyth near 141 and highway 9.
7 Tequilas Cantina – Mexican restaurant replacing Smokejack in Forsyth’s Midway community.
Jose’s Mexican Grill – Opening soon next to Zaxby’s on North Point and Webb Bridge.
First Watch – Breakfast concept building at Northpoint and Old Milton.
Chipotle, Corner Bakery Cafe, Pollo Tropical, Zoe’s – Making quick progress building on Haynes Bridge near the mall.

Retail Coming Soon

Walmart – You’ll see construction starting soon at GA-141 near Brookwood/Mathis Airport.
Costco Wholesale – It’s big news in Cumming. The land is cleared along GA-400 and exit 15.
AMC at Northpoint – The new theater is taking shape behind the mall. Expect a fall opening.
Aldi – Coming soon to Johns Creek where Ace Hardware used to be.

7 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant & Retail News – June 2013”

1. Travis Allen June 7, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Well shoot…I was looking forward to the Fish House Seafood Kitchen, but if it’s those folks from The Shrimp Basket I’ll drive to Captain D’s in Roswell or Cumming first…yeh, I just said that…

2. Deborah June 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I noticed today that the Tilted Kilt on Holcomb Bridge has already closed up!

3. A June 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Not excited about the already-open new restos. Some of the “coming soons” look interesting, but honestly nothing terribly thrilling happening in the Alpharetta/Milton dining scene since Campania opened.

4. Lee June 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

@A – I tend to agree with you. Wish there was more on the way.

One small error to correct in my original post. Kitchen of Atlanta is not yet open. Looks like it will be late June for these guys.

5. A June 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Recent health inspection report for BB’s:

BB’s Bagels, 770 McFarland Road, Alpharetta. 74/C

Not good! I’ve never been, and after seeing this and hearing about the attitude you get there, I’m not likely to.

6. JP June 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

This whole “attitude” story about BB’s is complete B.S. I mentioned the closing to my daughter over the weekend. She was saddened to hear this and told me she stopped for breakfast there the first day of school this past year and was given a dozen bagels for free to enjoy with her schoolmates.

If that’s “attitude”, give me more of it!

7. Mandy April 7, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

I live on the hill near the Wal-mart and drove by there on the advice of a friend to see if they had scrap lumber I could use for a backyard project. I love the reclaimed lumber look and asked about pallets and wood they would otherwise have to pay to get rid of. I spoke to a man supervising up front who called Mr. Gillam personally while I waited while standing outside of the front of the store and I was told to rent a truck and come by and pick up about 20 pallets (some were not available because Wal-mart would be doing something with them) during daylight hours. He said to bring my vehicle and they would load them up for me. When I arrived with a rental vehicle and asked to pick them up, the assistant manager for that Wal-mart walked up front and chased me and my spouse off practically calling me a liar. I advised her exactly what had happened and that we had already rented a vehicle which she could see as she walked to her car probably headed home for the day (It was 5:30 p.m.) and she acted like I was a complete idiot. My spouse commented that she acted like a person on a power trip. We’re professionals in the community and my spouse has a firm downtown and we couldn’t believe how we were treated. If I wasn’t an honest person, I would have driven around to the side of the property where there were obviously discarded wood pallets and scrap lumber thrown in a jumbled heap in what was obviously a garbage area, and loaded them up anyway.
    Shame on this woman for practically calling us liars and handling the situation in such a clumsy way. We won’t be shopping at this Wal-mart.
    So, my impression of the new Wal-mart to open soon isn’t a good one. I would love to get in touch with the actual construction foreman who knows what he’s doing, because I could make proper arrangements and not have to deal with this woman. I’m a woman, so it’s not a gender thing.