Alpharetta Restaurant & Retail News – March 2013

Beer. Or more specifically I should say craft beer. This business is going gangbusters right now. We’ve gone well beyond growler stores.

Alpharetta will soon have a second brew pub. Opening next to Smokejack at 25 South Main Street will be Hop Alley Brew Pub. Their build out started this week. Also making big news in February was Jekyll Brewing. They exceeded their crowd sourced funding initiative, raising over $30,000 from the community. Their brewery is being built on Marconi Drive near McKesson.

Perhaps the predictions of growler store demise were premature. Forsyth’s first growler store, Crafty Draught, is planning a second location in Alpharetta. They’ll be on Old Milton Parkway near Pepperoni’s Pizza. East Alpharetta should be a good location for a growler store. (Hat tip to Caleb Spivak for scooping this story)

Johns Creek Walk – There are a few changes coming to this small little mixed-use neighborhood. Closing is Essex Bagels. I’m told some of their employees landed at BB’s. Replacing Essex will be Gino’s New York Pizza. This part of north Fulton is saturated with NY-style pizzerias. They’ll have a strong headwind.

And also coming to Johns Creek Walk is Kitchen of Atlanta. Their website suggests gourmet burgers, sandwiches, wings, pasta and salads.

South Forsyth – Two new Mexican joints have plans to open in south Forsyth. First is Rio Balsas Taqueria. They will open at 3455 Peachtree Parkway where Killer Wiches and Lowcountry BBQ once lived. This will be a second location for Rio Balsas, their first being a little north of Cumming.

Casa Del Sol Mexican Bar and Grill will open at 2340 Atlanta Hwy near Bethelview Road. This is where Bad Bob’s BBQ used to be.

A wine and cheese boutique and tasting room called Talk of the Table is coming to the Avenue Forsyth. Aldo Nahed has a great story on them over at the Forsyth Herald.

And I don’t often cover restaurants in Cumming, but here goes… A restaurant called Silk Road Asian Kitchen may have plans to open at 872 Buford Road. This is the former Buckhead Brewery building. It’s a beautiful space but has proven to be bad luck for many including some very experienced restauranteurs.

And finally, Boga Taqueria in Milton has closed. I don’t have any details to add to this story. I’ve reached out to Boga’s former owner but have not heard back.

Restaurants Coming Soon

Chipotle, Corner Bakery Cafe, Pollo Tropical – Just when I thought this was stalled. They have cleared the land near the mall and are moving forward. I expect Pollo Tropical to open first. This will be the first free-standing restaurant to be built in Alpharetta in a very long time. Can you remember the last? I cannot.
BurgerFI – They are making visible progress at their new location on Windward next to FedEx.
Campania Pizzeria – I expect them to be open by this time next month. The pizza oven is installed and they are testing and seasoning it. They’ll be at 800 North Main Street.
Salt Factory – Still building out in Tifosi’s old space on South Main Street.
Main Street Kitchen - This will be the name of the restaurant opened by the folks from Nine Street Kitchen in Roswell. Look for them at 52 North Main Street where 52 Bistro used to be.
Teriyaki House – Coming soon to 3710 Old Milton Parkway.
Chill Restaurant and Lounge – Coming to Haynes Bridge in the massive Rainwater building.
Dickey’s BBQ Pit – East Windward near Mellow Mushroom.

22 Responses to “Alpharetta Restaurant & Retail News – March 2013”

1. jocko March 8, 2013 at 11:54 am #

any word on what they are building next to Arby’s at HWY 9 & Windward?

2. Lee March 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Jocko, it’s going to be a Navy Federal Credit Union branch.

3. B March 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Super sad to see Boga go. They were a favorite spot of mine. Wish they could reopen elsewhere.

4. A March 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Ditto about Boga. Where is Campania going in? Is that the Taco Mac plaza?

5. Lee March 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Campania is a new shopping center on North Main that was vacant for a long time (perhaps in foreclosure?). It’s between Firestone and a oil change place, a tad south of IHOP. 800 North Main is the address.

6. Sandy March 8, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

That’s good news that something is going in that strip. North Main St. has really struggled since the recession. It finally feels like things are starting to pick up.

I haven’t been to the new Mambo yet, but I drove by at lunch and the parking lot was full.

I’m really looking forward to Pollo Tropical. It’ll be so nice to have something different in the fast/casual section.

7. K March 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

No! I really like Essex Bagels! :( I appreciated the variety in their menu, and really enjoyed their lox combo, always topped with a couple of briny olives.

Please don’t try to console me by referring me to BB’s. While it appears that BB’s has updated and revamped their web site, I remember the list of rules they had posted. Sure, it’s their business, and they have every right to post them — I’m 100% behind that. However, I also have the right not to set foot in the door if I find that off-putting, and I did. They might be perfectly nice folks, but to me, it came across as obnoxious, and I don’t intend to condone that sort of attitude with my business.

The folks at Essex were always nice, and I liked some of the pictures they had on their walls. Very sad to see them go. :(

8. Lee March 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

@Sandy – I agree. There’s some exciting new stuff coming to Main Street. Perhaps that is a story itself. You’ve got two Canton Street restaurants, a brewpub and a Neapolitan-style pizzeria. Cool stuff.

Pollo Tropical should be a decent addition to the mall area. They also have plans to open on Marketplace Blvd in Cumming near Walmart.

9. Julie Hogg March 10, 2013 at 9:28 am #

@K above – I agree. Can’t patronize a restaurant that posts rules. Also @ B and A: I’m sad too about Boga. I really enjoyed their particular Latin flavor. The parking was awkward. And where is this Johns Creek Walk? The great chasm (400) separates me from that side of Alpharetta and I really don’t eat over there much.

10. SCSA31274 March 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

There is a Tower Burgers sign half-ass draped over the old Sonic sign on Hwy 9 south of Alpharetta. It faces only the Northbound traffic and is very hard to see. Not sure how much effort will be put into it if this is how it’s started. The only thing left there is the main Sonic building, which is not made for dine in. Will look forward to see what they do there.

11. Lee March 11, 2013 at 7:33 am #

Johns Creek Walk is at GA141 and Bell Road, just a tad north of Abbotts Bridge Road.

12. A March 11, 2013 at 8:48 am #

I’m with everyone about BB’s and their “rules” which still appear on their web site. If they are trying to be like the Soup Nazi, then we have every right not to patronize a business that tells you up front how to order. Unfortunately there are no decent bagel places in the heart of Alpharetta (downtown, Windward, Highway 9) except maybe Bagel Boys, but theirs aren’t authentic NY style.

13. Travis Allen March 11, 2013 at 11:06 am #

There is apparently a Marco’s Pizza on the way to Milton in the Publix shopping center at Hwy 9 and Bethany Bend.

I saw a coming soon sign in the vacant space next to the Subway.

14. JB March 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

I never saw this list of rules for BBs. What were they and was it tongue in cheek or serious?

15. Lee March 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

@Travis – Thanks for mentioning Marco’s. I saw that over the weekend. They are cropping up all over the burbs.

I think BB’s little “rules” are tongue-in-cheek. That New Yorker attitude is part of their schtick. Always thought Essex was a good alternative for folks put off by this. But of course you’re free to tell them to fugetaboutit!

16. JP March 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Been to BB’s many times. Never encountered attitude of any kind nor noticed any “rules” posted.

17. B March 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

The rules at BB’s cover the whole front page of their menu. You can’t miss them. I can get over the NY attitude. Just wish they would spend a bit more time cleaning the inside of the restaurant.

18. Borocco Restaurant March 12, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

We are opening in two weeks. You are more than welcome to come and try our food!! We are going to have a fusion of flavors from Spain, Italy and France.

19. Kelby March 12, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Any idea what will be going in where the Coffee Pot was on the square on Main Street. We have noticed they have build a nice bar inside.

20. SCSA31274 March 12, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Couple of things. Where is the B and B hate coming from? Sure they’re kinda rude. It’s all part of the NY experience. The bagels are worth a little attitude. Also, it’s worth a little drive to eat fantastic food. I see a lot of people that won’t drive more than 10 miles to a place and complain that there’s not one of whatever kind of restaurant near their home. A drive from Mansell to Windward is not that far. Not wanting to go downtown or even Marietta, I understand. Just venting.

Oh, and the Coffee Pot went away and was going to be replaced with a beer pub type place called Tap On Main a few months ago. They did the buildout and were open for a week or so, then they closed. They said it was for staff training and menu tweaking. They have never reopened. No word on what if anything will happen there.

21. Cool Papa Bell March 13, 2013 at 9:44 am #

I’m all for the only people with a scintilla of sense of humor stepping foot into BB’s. Ditto with Rhea’s rule, “This ain’t Burger King. You’ll have it may way or there is the door.”

Part of the charm of The Varsity is you better be ready when they say, “Whaddaya have, whaddaya have.” It’s too early in the morning to recall, but I’ve seen a few other examples of establishments trying to mix in a little fun with good food.

But for the humorless, I’d prefer they enjoy those steam injected ones at Bagel Boys. The last thing we need at BB’s is longer lines.

22. Greg March 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Any word on Tap on Main? Last tweet from them was Nov and that they were closing for renovations or something.