Great British Car Fayre

Every Friday Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday. Today we feature a guest post from Mike Christensen. Follow Mike on Twitter @SCSA31274.

I love cars.  I’m also a fan of British cars particularly Aston Martin.  From these facts, you might correctly deduce that I like James Bond.  So you can imagine how excited I was to read that all of these loves will come together on the streets of downtown Alpharetta this Saturday for the Great British Car Fayre.

All the of best cars from across the pond will be on display including the Lotus Esprit driven by Roger Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me.  Now I’m not positive it’s the one that turns unto a submarine, but if it is, I’ll be taking it down the Chattahoochee. There will family fun, the cars, a Beatles Tribute band and food.

The food is what really caught my attention.  There will be some local food from Smokejack along with several very intriguing food trucks selling their wares.  Among the ones confirmed are Sweet Auburn BBQ, the Mobile Marlay, W.O.W! Food Truck, Mighty Meatballs, Yum Yum Cupcakes, and the Pretzelmaker.

It will be interesting to see how the crowd divides between the local Smokejack and the outsider Sweet Auburn BBQ.

The Mobile Marlay keeps with the theme by serving fish and chips.  But the one truck that most interests me is the W.O.W truck with various bowls full of brisket, pork, potatoes, grits and “kicky sauce”.

The weather’s not predicted to be very good for Saturday, but that’s nothing new for the Brits.  You can find me out there stuffing my face from the food trucks and drooling over all the beautiful machines.  Worst James Bond ever.

The Great British Car Fayre
Downtown Alpharetta, Milton Ave and Main St
Saturday, February 23 from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Beatles tribute band on stage from 2:30 to 4:30 PM
Sponsored by the Alpharetta Convention and Visitors Bureau

Photo credit: Alpharetta CVB

9 Responses to “Great British Car Fayre”

1. Will February 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Rain or shine?

2. Lee February 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

According to the CVB, it is a rain or shine event. I’m sure the cars will be there in the rain. But food trucks often bail when it rains. So we’ll see.

3. A February 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Went around 2 p.m. and as Lee said on Twitter small crowd compared with other events in downtown Alpharetta like the arts fest. We had already eaten lunch but the food trucks looked interesting. Didn’t see any long lines at any of them. Wish they had more vintage cars. Sorry, but I’m not interested in seeing a new 2012 Jaguar or other recent model.

4. Will February 25, 2013 at 9:45 am #

I think there was a total of three cars, excluding the MINI’s, there that were made past 1988. I thought there was a good mix of makes and models for being a smaller show. To have that many show up on a cruddy looking Saturday was impressive.

Food trucks were nice to have. I hit up two. They didn’t seem to busy, and one said this was shaping up to be the slowest event she’s ever done in Alpharetta. She still expected to break even. Hopefully it doesn’t deter them from future events.

5. Jen February 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Wondering who profitted from the beverage sales? I thought it was an ok event, my husband loved the cars. Didn’t know the food trucks were going to be there and had already eaten. So while the City works out whether to subsidize food trucks or not, their answer is to subsidize events that include them? I would have appreciated them advertising they were selling beer and wine at the event. We had our kids with us and while we aren’t teetotallers, I think a family daytime event like that should be alcohol free. Don’t we have restaurants for that?

6. Lee February 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I believe the Alpharetta CVB used the same food truck organizer that the city would be using for their proposed events. I also didn’t know about the alcohol. As I could tell it was only served down near the end of the street. Didn’t notice many folks drinking. Also don’t know who was serving.

I suppose you could make the case that this event was subsidized with taxpayer money. The CVB is funded with hotel taxes. Perhaps this was a test run or trial event of sorts for the city.

7. Wilbret February 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

What an odd time for this… 2pm?
    Most families with kids are occupied and it wasn’t meal time.
    Make it before noon or in the evening, and that time works for more people.

8. Will February 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Wilbert — it started at 10. I went from 11 – 12:30 and the food trucks were there serving.

I did miss the beer — I probably would of grabbed one if I knew it was there. Sweet Auburn BBQ and beer would of been a great Saturday lunch. Too bad they couldn’t get someone local, like Blind Murphies, to serve authentic English beer.

9. Cool Papa Bell February 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

Wilbert I was there from 10:15-2:30 and I assure you despite so/so weather there were tons of families.