Stax Burger Bar – Holcomb Bridge, Roswell

Every Friday Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday. Today we feature a guest post from Mike Christensen. Follow Mike on Twitter @SCSA31274.

I love burgers. If I was on a deserted island and I could have only one food, it would be hamburgers. Stax Burger Bar opened just down the street from my office. Several of my coworkers have raved about their food. I had to check it out.

Stax is owned by two brothers, Luis and Carlos Ramirez. Luis has made the rounds as executive chef at several of the Sedgwick restaurants including Vinny’s on Windward, Van Gogh’s, and Aspen’s Signature Steaks as well as co-founding Cinco Mexican Cantina. My expectations were very high.

The dining area feels spacious if only for the fact that there are a handful of tables. There are a large number of outdoor tables that will be filled in the spring and summer. The chairs and tables were comfortable and easily accessible. As an avid Coca Cola collector I was pleasantly surprised to find several Coke, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper items figuring prominently into the decor. The overall feel for me is “second date.” It’s not quite nice enough to impress a first date, but would be perfect for a second, more relaxed date. There is good music pumped in that’s not so loud to prevent conversation.

The menu is full of specialty burgers, salads, sides and tapas. My wife and I tried the Stax classic and the bacon and cheese burgers, which are pretty much what you can get anywhere. They were both hot, juicy and full of flavor. Two slightly thin patties of black angus meat with lettuce, tomato and red onion create a happiness in my mouth.

Try the more adventurous Saltimbocca burger, a veal patty with fresh mozzarella, tomato, prosciutto di parma and sage mayo. It was so juicy and packed with flavor, truly a high end burger. We also tried the buffalo chicken burger. Pretty spicy but also one I would order again.

In the protein department you’ll find turkey, shrimp, salmon and portobello mushrooms, all ready to be made into burgers. It’s a small menu overall, but there really isn’t anything on there that didn’t look great.

One key aspect of all of these burgers is the bun. Locally baked and toasted, they really make the burgers something special. None of the burgers come with sides, which was a disappointment. The burgers range in price from $7.00-8.00, so once you add in the cost of fries ($2.00), or some of the pricier sides, the cost can add up. The fries are hand cut and double fried. The mac and cheese had great flavor but was too runny for my taste.

Look for unusual side items such as fried okra, creamy green pea risotto, fried calamari, sauteed brussel sprouts and onion rings. The risotto, while not looking very appetizing, was excellent. While not what I normally would have with a burger, it was a good change of pace.

Stax is not very kid friendly. They offer a plain burger and fries as the only kid menu item for an eye watering $6.50.

Stax Burger Bar on Urbanspoon

Overall, Stax burger bar is a welcome addition to the blossoming burger scene. It’s a burger place striving to be more than a greasy dive and it succeeds. The atmosphere is comfortable, the service fast and friendly and the food is out of this world. It’s a place I would go to meet friends after work and relax with a great burger and a glass of frozen sangria.

7 Responses to “Stax Burger Bar – Holcomb Bridge, Roswell”

1. Cool Papa Bell January 25, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I wish more restaurants didn’t force you to pay for sides you don’t want. Kudos to any place that gives you the option of ordering them separately.

2. William January 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Yeah……….first impressions still are the best..nes pa?

3. A January 26, 2013 at 11:03 am #

If they drop the price of their kids meal by a couple of dollars, I’d consider going there.

4. Julie Hogg January 26, 2013 at 11:34 am #

When me and my 2 BFF’s want to get together, do we say, “let’s go get a coffee” or “let’s go get a drink somewhere”? No, we say, “let’s go get some of those brussels sprouts at Stax”! They are ridiculously good. So are the burgers.

5. Travis Allen January 29, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Okay, so I gave in and went to Stax on Sunday. I’m on a burger quest already this year, as we’re attempting to try a new place every weekend this year.

First, being 11:15 a.m. it was of course empty and we were sat promptly, enter the annoying refridgerator by the bar that was making a racket the entire time. This probably wouldn’t have been noticed during busier times or if we’d been seated 10 feet closer to the front. We gathered that the table to the front were reserved for parties of 4 or larger.

Service was courteous and prompt, though at times I had a feeling that our server wasn’t really a “server” or he was occupied with something else, although he was pleasant enough so I can’t really knock him for anything other than where he seated us.

The burgers both consisted of two beef patties. I’ve read reviews on Yelp where folks just don’t get the two patty idea, but I could care less, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t.

I had a bacon cheeseburger and it was great. A bacon cheeseburger is my go to item when trying a burger at a new place. I don’t go for the crazy/weird ideas when it comes to burgers because I want the truest comparison possible. Not the best I’ve had so far this year, but easily second. The presentation on the plate was nice, but I’m not one for food art, I don’t care what it looks like as long as it tastes good. Very flavorful without dripping grease.

My wife had an order of fries and while they were good, there was nothing outstanding about them. I’m highly doubtful that they are “hand cut and double fried” as stated in the above review. For myself I ordered a side of onion rings and I keep referring to them in person as an “onion ring” because for $4 I thought there would be a little more than 5 rings. They were pretty thick too, which really doesn’t fit my taste when it comes to rings. I’ll stick with the Varsity or the Vortex for rings criticism or not. The ranch dip did help out with the rings, although I’m a firm believer that rings shouldn’t need a dip.

All in all, it was pretty good and I plan to return at some point, I just won’t order the rings next time and the fries were more than enough to split.

6. JB January 29, 2013 at 9:45 am #

We like Stax very much and have been there several times. Good quality and they have fried okra which wins me over immediately. As a former FLIP employee, I find their menu *ahem* familiar. But, they are closer and I can’t fault the taste.

7. Jeremiah January 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

The Brussels Sprouts at Stax are good, they’re made with bacon. The kids menu is limited, but it includes hamburgers. So that works out fine in practice.

I don’t love the doublethin patties because you can’t get a med-rare burger, but I like the sides and the staff is relaxed enough about kids that it’s a pleasant family experience.