Burger King’s Bacon Sundae

Fast food giant Burger King has rolled out a revamped menu this summer in an attempt to win back customers. And up until now their attempt hasn’t lured this suburban gastronome. I can’t remember the last time I darkened a door at Burger King. But the pull of bacon cannot be underestimated, especially when it plays a role in a sweet and savory dessert. I knew the BK Bacon Sundae needed a review here on Roots, even over the objections of my wife.

My wife’s concerns were quite valid. At 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar, the BK Bacon Sundae is a cardiologist visit waiting to happen. On the flip side, Burger King’s menu isn’t exactly loaded with healthy options. But my wife also thought my blogger credibility might suffer as a result of this review. Credibility, schmedibility! We’re talking bacon here!

So I sneaked over to a Burger King in Johns Creek yesterday and plopped down my $2.49. A minute later my creation arrived. It’s a generous helping of soft-serve ice cream topped with chocolate and caramel syrup. Next comes two strips of bacon. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the strips are sandwich-length strips and not the length you might expect from a slab of bacon.

One strip of bacon is crumbled atop the sundae. The second strip is impaled vertically into the sundae as if to plant the victory flag. The meaning is clear – bacon has conquered this sundae. It might be the best visual presentation of any fast food dessert.

As would be expected, the smokey and salty taste of the bacon complements the caramel and chocolate. It didn’t go well with the ice cream though. It also didn’t help that the bacon pieces were large. Diced bacon would have worked much better in this sundae. And I would have much preferred the four ingredients¬† to have been mixed together, along the lines of what Cold Stone Creamery might do with their toppings. The bacon may have infused its salty goodness a little better with this approach.

At the end of the day, this is a fast food soft-serve sundae with bacon sprinkled on top. I ate perhaps a third of the sundae and pitched the rest. And while there is some novelty to this, having now experienced it I doubt I will repeat.

Inviting bacon to the dessert menu is hardly a new culinary idea, even in the suburbs. Dutch Monkey Doughnuts has had a bacon-wrapped doughnut on their menu for years. Jilly’s Cupcakery bakes a very delicious maple bacon cupcake. It’s perhaps the best thing on their menu. Those craving this sweet/savory yin yang should pursue these creations, not the BK Bacon Sundae.

11 Responses to “Burger King’s Bacon Sundae”

1. SCSA June 22, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Gross.

2. Greg June 22, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Interesting way to get people back in the door, even if it’s for just one visit!

Actually, the best thing at BK during the summer is the frozen Coke and cherry. They’re the closest thing we can get to a real Slurpee here in Atlanta.

3. Sandy June 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I went to BK today after not having been in one for many years, but for the bacon sundae :shudder: I tried the sweet potato fries and they are not awful! Other than being a little too salty, they are about as good as any sweet potato fries at most restaurants!

4. Laura June 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I second the BK Frozen Cokes, they help with my Slurpee craving since we can’t seem to get a 7-11 down here and the QT version is a very poor substitute. Having worked at BK during my high school days, I just can’t eat their food anymore so I’ll have to take your word on this sundae.

5. Kim June 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Awesome! What are the nitrates per serving? :-)

6. Travis Allen June 25, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Try Target, yes, Target for your Slurpee craving…probably not much better than QT, but worth a shot.

7. Michael June 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

The best way to incorporate bacon into a dessert is by first candying “lightly” smoked maple bacon with brown sugar. It’ll take the edge off the smokiness and saltiness. Some folks do it right, but based on this review, BK does not.

Another local bacon let down for me has been our very own Atlanta Fresh’s introduction of “Taste like Breakfast” Greek Yogurt which uses maple bacon – It was really really really gross.

8. George June 27, 2012 at 11:52 am #

You should have listened to your wife.

9. Cool Papa Bell June 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

The only thing I’ve ever seen in Target is Icees, not Slurpees. That’s like going to Steak and Shake to quench your thirst for Peter Lugars.

10. Travis Allen June 28, 2012 at 11:02 am #

I’m not clear on the difference, please enlighten me

11. Greg June 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Travis, the best way to describe it is that Icees have too much air in them. I don’t know how, but somehow the Slurpee machine and/or recipe makes them a little more substantial. Frozen Cokes at Burger King aren’t up to Slurpee standards, but they’re the closest I’ve found in the area.

What can I say? Some people know fine wine….