HOT Lanes on GA 400

Let’s get ready to rumble!

Have you seen the white signs all over town? Dozens of them have cropped up in north Fulton and Forsyth along GA 400 off-ramps and elsewhere. They advertise a public meeting in Roswell concerning GA 400. No other real details are available on the sign. And very little has been published in the local media at this point in time.

So what does the Georgia DOT have in mind for GA 400? They’ve lit the fuse on what will surely become a firestorm of controversy in this area. They are proposing HOT lanes on GA 400… like the ones on I-85 in Gwinnett County. GDOT is considering these lanes starting in Cumming at the GA-20 interchange all the way down to I-285.

I won’t go into a lot of detail in this post except to say that I haven’t personally decided if I like these or not. All I know is that these will be very controversial, perhaps more so than the HOT lanes along the I-85 corridor. The jury is still out on their success in Gwinnett. On top of that GA 400 commuters have lingering bitterness over the extension of the fifty cent toll. Tacking on more tolls (albeit optional ones) are not likely to sit well with north Fulton and Forsyth commuters.

But we’ll have a lot of time to work through all of these issues. In the meantime, visit the DOT’s GA 400 HOT lane website or attend one of the three public meetings listed below.

March 13, 2012
The Cottage School
700 Grimes Bridge Rd.
Roswell, GA 30075

March 15, 2012
Piney Grove Middle School
8135 Majors Rd.
Cumming, GA 30041

March 20, 2012
First Baptist Church Sandy Springs
650 Mount Vernon Hwy. NE
Sandy Springs, GA 30328

12 Responses to “HOT Lanes on GA 400”

1. Kim March 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Do you know if they are planning to add new lanes for this purpose or take existing ones away?

A lot of the controversy on I-85 seemed to stem from taking lanes away.

2. Chris March 8, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Wonderful, that should make morning and afternoon traffic much easier while they work on those. Glad I know backroads from 141 to Ronald Reagan.

3. Lee March 8, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I don’t know if they are adding new lanes or not. I would imagine they would have to north of McFarland.

Either way, a toll lane takes a lane away from general traffic.

4. phatnate March 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

They are going to take the berm and turn that into a regular traffic lane according to what I saw from a comment from Gov. Natahn Deal. Yes, that opens all kinds of issues about emergency vehicles and having somewhere to pull over..

5. Kim March 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

There are a couple of lines items pertaining to this in Alpharetta’s latest Comprehensive Plan. Approximately 1500 households were surveyed about these items generating nearly 600 responses (each response representing one household.)

The responses show…
    57% agree with HOV lanes (22% disagree, 20% neutral).
    However…
    67% DISagree with managed toll lanes (18% agree, 15% neutral).

Interestingly, these survey answers were taken before the I-85 controversy, so these numbers don’t reflect that passion.

Gas taxes are probably still the most fair user fee. There is a reason they are dubbed Lexus Lanes.

If we would quit wasting money on rail and use more buses, we would have more money available for road maintenance.

6. Brandon March 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

They plan on taking away another lane. There WILL NOT BE A LANE ADDED. If you thought adding 14 minutes on top of an I-85 trip time, wait until GDOT shoves another 40 minutes on top of your trip time down your throat. Hope you live east of 400 cause PIB is your only prayer, and that anti-HOT lanes the state senate is going to pass.

7. Kim March 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

What is PIB?

8. Lee March 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

9. Kim March 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

“I want to stress this,” said Gerald Ross, DOT’s chief engineer. “It [I-85 HOT lanes] is a demonstration project … I won’t stand here and tell you 100 percent it’s going to work, because we don’t know.” The state intends to test it for at least five years.

10. Alpha Scott March 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

This is one of the dumbest ideas I have seen come out of our state government yet – but then again….it’s not 5PM yet. This gives me a great idea for my ketchup bottle. The ketchup comes out slow due to it’s bottle neck. I think I could remedy the situation by jamming a straw down the neck and calling it a hot lane. Brilliant!

11. K March 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Thanks for posting the information. Incidentally, the meetings are from 5 PM – 7 PM.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Georgia Pundit – Georgia Politics, Campaigns, and Elections for May 15, 2012 - May 15, 2012

[...] penny sales tax. Beach might also have to explain or distance himself from the proposed HOT lanes on GA400. None of these proposals are popular with voters, especially with the Tea Party. Beach can kiss [...]