Soup Du Jour

This past Tuesday was like most days at work. I walked out of the office at about 11:30 while contemplating which Alpharetta restaurant to patronize. Then it hit me – an unexpected blast of freezing air. It’s not something I’m accustomed to during my lunch break. It made me crave a hot bowl of soup and also inspired this week’s Foodie Friday article.

No soup for you!

Most restaurants have a soup on the menu or maybe a soup du jour. Here are a few that stand out in my mind or have otherwise gained a reputation. If you have a favorite soup at an Alpharetta-area restaurant I’d love to hear about it.

Chili at Never Enough Thyme

I’m not a huge fan of this hoity toity sandwich shop. I seem to be the wrong gender each time I walk into their shop for lunch. But when I do eat here I almost always order the chili. It is the best, most authentic bowl of Texas-style chili you’ll find in Alpharetta. No beans about it! The meat is sirloin cut into cubes. The gravy is rich with deep beef flavor. This chili will stick to your ribs on a cold day. It’s by far the most manly thing on the menu at NET.

Carrot Jalapeno Soup at Boga Taqueria

Yeah, I just reviewed these guys, but I didn’t talk about the soup. Boga’s got a few soups on the menu but you really should try their carrot jalapeno soup. Don’t let the jalapeno in the name fool you as this isn’t a spicy soup. It’s creamy much like a butternut squash soup. I wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t the base of the soup. The carrot flavor doesn’t jump out a lot to me, perhaps it’s more for color. But the jalapeno is subtle and delicate. It’s just enough spice to contrast the creaminess.

Matzo Ball Soup at The Corner Deli

I’m writing about matzo. Oy vey!

Let’s be honest – I wouldn’t know a good matzo ball if the traditional Jewish dumpling smacked me across the face. So take what I say with a grain of salt (and make it Kosher).

There’s something I enjoy about the simplicity of Corner Deli’s matzo ball soup. Sure, it’s just chicken in broth, some carrots and a dense matzo ball. They say chicken soup is good for the soul and I’m not going to disagree.

Coconut Soup at Satay House

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Satay House so I hope they haven’t changed things around. But their coconut soup is far and away the best in town. It’s rich and intense with a solid core of coconut flavor. Satay makes it with a few pieces of chicken, some mushrooms and no lemongrass.

Honorable Mentions

I’ve not tried every soup in town. Here’s a few more that receive consistently positive reviews…

Beer Cheese Soup at Norman’s Landing - It’s not available everyday. I know some loyal fans who’ll call ahead to see if it’s on the specials board.
Tomato Basil Soup at Wildflour - A popular soup and salad choice. I regret that I’ve not tried it but I never want just half a sandwich here!
Never Enough Thyme on Urbanspoon

Photo credit: Americasroof (creative commons)

8 Responses to “Soup Du Jour”

1. Brent January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Ever tried Fancy Pantry off Mansell? They make a couple of different soup du jour offerings from scratch every day. A bit pricey, but tasty (from my experience).

2. Greg January 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

I can always find one or two soups to like at Sweet Tomatoes, especially on Mushroom Monday!

3. Bob Strader January 7, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Lee, when The Union has tomato soup with grilled pimento cheese sandwiches on the menu – try it!

4. Jaime January 9, 2012 at 12:09 am #

RE Satay House: it’s still a pretty good place to go for a bite. As far as the coconut soup goes? It is still awesome! I have a bunch of friends from all over that always ask to eat at SH just to have the coconut soup. Every time we visit my wife’s family we buy a gallon of it and haul it up to her brother’s place in Cincinnati. And then voom! It’s gone.

5. Cool Papa Bell January 9, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Good list. I agree with the Texas chili at Never Enough Thyme. I will say the chicken poblano soup is the best thing at Wildflour as far as soup goes. However, the best in Alpharetta has to be that peach gazpacho with mango salsa at Bite. It’s not the time of the year for it, but what a soup.

I know you don’t normally mess with Roswell, but the Caribbean clam chowder at Fickle Pickle gives the Bite soup a serious run for the money as best soup in these parts.

6. Cool Papa Bell January 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

@Roots, I just noticed your comment about never wanting to get half a sandwich at Wildflour. I have never and will never get just half a sandwich at Wildflour and I’ve been going there for years (including previous location). Yet I’ve had a few dozen bowls of soup. Who said you have to order half a sandwich to get soup there?

Just tell them you want a whole sandwich and soup. I’ve done it three dozen times at least. It’s painless I assure you.

(and get the chicken pablano, it’s much better than the tomato basil_

7. Mala January 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Off topic a little, but I tried Wildflour and didn’t like it. Maybe I ordered the worng thing. Any sandwich recommendations?

8. Cool Papa Bell January 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Mala, not sure I can help considering I’ve never had anything there I didn’t like. Just as a point of reference, which sandwich places to you like?

The only sandwich I am not in a huge hurry to re-order is the barbecue (special only). The best sandwiches are the pork Seinfeld, crab cake, and even cheesesteak (special only). But it’s tough to go wrong.

Just order a *whole* sandwich *and* a bowl of soup–especially if it’s the chicken pablano.