The Incredible Sandwich Factory – McFarland

Every Friday, Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday.

Using the word “incredible” in the name of a sandwich joint in this town is bold. Then again, using such hyperbole in the name of any restaurant will usually get you knocked down a rung or two on my expectation list. That coupled with this storefront’s past failures left me not expecting much out of this new joint. However, I was pleasantly surprised after my visit today. They exceeded my diminished expectations.

The Incredible Sandwich Factory opened yesterday on McFarland Parkway in south Forsyth. They are in the same strip mall with a liquor store and My Friends Place. How’s that for some head-to-head competition? Inside you’ll find a simple space with a lot of movie posters. The sandwiches are named for movies although it is tough to discern some of them.

A lot of their sandwiches start with meat roasted in-house. Each night they cook stuff like bone-in hams and beef roasts for a handful of different sandwiches. A popular sandwich today was the King Steak sandwich. It’s a marinated sirloin with sauteed onions. They also have a strange take on the Cuban sandwich that includes a fried egg and hot dog. Cubano purists should check their credentials at the door.

I ordered the Porkfather. You’ve gotta love the name and the picture on the front of the restaurant. It is roasted ham that’s browned on the cooktop then served on a hoagie. The chef suggested adding a creole sauce, which I liked. It didn’t taste very creole to me but it added a little spice and tang to the sammich. The pork was cubed and tasted good but lacked some tenderness. All in all, it was a good, hearty, two-handed sandwich.

I tried a sample of their Thomas Factor sandwich. It’s a creative take on chicken salad featuring a spicy yellow cream sauce holding it together. I liked it enough that I’ll make it my order next time.

I wish they would offer a better selection of side items. Your only choice is chips at the moment. A hearty potato or pasta salad would have gone well with my meal. But all in all I liked it more than I thought I would. They put out some manly sandwiches, which is a refreshing alternative to the foo-foo stuff you sometimes find on Windward. Not only were they manly eats, the price was right. I did a double-take at checkout. Nearly all their creations are in the $5-6 neighborhood. If you’re looking for an off-Windward sandwich alternative, this might be it.

Will Incredible make it? They’ve got a shot. McFarland is under served by restaurants. The fast food options on this stretch of road are slammed at lunch. It’s mainly workers from the light industrial shops who eat here. Manly and meaty two-handed sandwiches might be a huge hit in this part of town. It’ll be interesting to see if they find a niche here.

The Incredible Sandwich Shop is located at 1545 McFarland Parkway, suite 101. 770-807-7094
The Increbible Sandwich Factory on Urbanspoon

11 Responses to “The Incredible Sandwich Factory – McFarland”

1. Walter February 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

I am (almost) speechless at the review given to the Incredible Sandwich Factory. I ate there this afternoon and the experience was laughable. The order process is off, you order the food and go wait at a table without a drink or chips. THEN you pay once its ready after sitting hungry and thirsty. I ordered a ham and turkey panini combo w/chips and drink for a little over $6, not a bad price. The sandwich delivered was a pathetic excuse for a turkey sandwich, no less a panini?!? 2 small thin slices of turkey lunch meat with smaller pieces of cheese on definitely NOT fresh bread with imprints resembling the likes of a panini griller, but not even toasted! It was no fluke as a coworker ordered the exact same thing, we both laughed. The only thing making the experience MORE laughable was our trays being taken by someone and the owner calling himself a chef. The food made Waffle House look like something Emeril would create. Anyone listening, please don’t waste your time or money eating at this place. Please believe me when I say this is the first restaurant I ever felt SO compelled to complain about. I feel sorry for any investor, this place will not survive as long as the prior dives in the same location.

2. christine liu February 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

We’re always a fan of coverage of “manly and meaty two-handed sandwiches.” (P.S. The Porkfather has to be one of our favorite words ever.) Thanks for the post! Cheers, Christine {at} urbanspoon {dot} com

3. Matt February 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

I ate at this place today and it was decent. The food was good, but the amount of food was pretty small. Not sure if I’d go back. You can get more food for $8 at other places for lunch. I ate there at noon and it’s 3pm and I feel like I never ate lunch :(

4. Chris February 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

I ate there for the first time today at lunch. I order the Cuban. I found it good and had good portion of meat and other things. I agree with the article; they do need other sides, beside chips. I got my food rather quickly. The drink sizes were disappointing. Regular and jumbo was actually small and medium. Even though there needs to be some more improvement, i would recommend this place.

5. ATL_Epicurean March 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

I tried the Mariachi, and liked it a lot. The bread was exceedingly fresh and tender. I’ll return to try some other things.

6. Kim November 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

I can’t believe the negative reviews regarding this place — especially regarding portion size. I’m addicted to the King Steak and the Great Roast and it’s all I can do to finish them off.

While more sides would be nice, the owner’s refusal to sell anything that isn’t FRESHLY MADE explains why that isn’t the case. It simply isn’t cost effective and personally I’d rather do without than to have pre-made, mediocre sides from Sysco.

Give it a try — you won’t regret it!

7. Mark March 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

This place is incredible, just as the name implies. SO much better than the other wannabe sandwich stores in the area.

I look forward to going to a nearby client just so I can have lunch at this shop. I’ve been 3 times and loved each trip.

8. Mike September 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I ate there for the first and only time today. The service was great but my order which was take out was incorrect. I asked for cheese, no cheese. The bun was soaked in grease. Way too much fatty bacon. BLT-C minus the chicken. Lost my appetite eating it.

9. Mark March 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

This place is closed now. No tables or chairs in the place. It has always looked like it was closed. Too bad.

10. Betty June 16, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

I knew they would close soon enough. They had very very poor customer service. And unfortunate for them customers is what keeps the door open. Hey Incredible Sandwich Shop guess you won’t be shoring people fries on delivery orders and then calling them and accusing them of lying about it any longer huh. LOL

11. Richard July 6, 2014 at 1:20 am #

This was one of the best sandwich places i have ever been, when they opened the place was packed and the owner Julio was very nice and he created the best sandwiches i have tried, the porkfather, the kingsteak, the great roast and the Havannah Club where masterpieces!!! Unfortunately he had problems with his partner and sold the business to him, this stupid wannabe has no idea of how to run a business or the concept of customer service, now they are closed and we will never try this unique flavors and tastes!