How Snowmageddon 2011 Justifies Our Milk and Bread Hoarding

That’s right, I’m going to write an article justifying the southern practice of raiding grocery stores before winter storms. I’m ready for all the hate mail you can bring!

Imagine if authorities announced that gasoline would be unavailable for purchase for 48 hours. What would you do? Gas up of course! What if you already had three quarters of a tank? Well, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so why not top off? Makes sense. Pretty soon everyone will get the same notion and there will be a run on gas. Hoarding behavior takes over.

This might not make a great analogy but it happened in September 2008. Remember? I do because I was one of the poor schmucks in an hour long line to gas up.

Predictions for winter weather are similar. Most snows in Georgia are gone in less than a day. Yet many of us can remember 1993 or other times when snow turned into a several day affair. The snowstorm this week certainly did. It means you’re without access to grocery stores for 48 hours, maybe more. Refreshing your stock of perishable commodities is a reasonable thing to do. So yeah, I was at Walmart last weekend buying milk, bread, fruit, (and my favorite beer, Yuengling) and basically any other groceries I would have bought during the week. Now that I’ve been home-bound for two, going on three days, I feel like my hoarding was a completely justified and rational thing to do.

Maybe you’re an Alpharetta resident who relocated from up north. This will be where you criticize southerns for not knowing how to drive in snow and ice. I’m not going to argue with you. (cue the Rain Man quote) I think I’m an excellent driver, having some experience in weather like this. But you’re right, most in the south don’t know how to drive on snow. I’m more worried about them, not me! I don’t want to be T-boned by Bubba who thinks the laws of physics and friction don’t apply to his rear-wheel drive F-150.

Do you think the Snowmageddon 2011 event has justified our milk and bread hoarding? I’m opening myself up to ridicule and mockery but I’m good for it. Let me have it!

Photo Credit: Quinn Dombrowski

8 Responses to “How Snowmageddon 2011 Justifies Our Milk and Bread Hoarding”

1. Debbie Johnson January 12, 2011 at 12:05 am #

I found myself with my two teenagers plus a few others coming and going…all foraging for food and sodas. Now with Day #3 approaching, I’m glad I stocked on Sat! I don’t want to be around teens with no food!

2. Northside Food January 12, 2011 at 9:39 am #

I’ve lived in the Midwest and seen snow drifts big enough to drown in. Snowy weather here is much more dangerous. There’s more ice, because of the tendancy for it to rain on top of the snow and because we don’t have the equipment to plow the roads properly to prevent it from forming. Couple that with inexperienced drivers and it’s best to just stay home. Our panic is perhaps overblown, but not unjustified.

3. andrea January 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I am from Ohio and just went out today and really the roads are not good. Some of the main roads like Northpoint Parkway are still very slick…

4. jimgilvin January 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

We’re down to 4 slices of bread and a thimble full of milk. How long did the Donner Party last?

5. Chris R January 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

I’m not from the north and never plan on living there, but I feel like I have a Northern attitude about snow. Where was I Monday morning at 8:20am? At the gas station filling up, then heading to the office to grab some things so I could work from home. And Monday at lunch time, heading back to the office because my phone didn’t work at home. On Tuesday at lunch time, at Chick-fil-a. I have openly mocked my fellow Southerners for the normal reaction to bad weather.

And do people really eat 12 loaves of bread and drink 5 gallons of milk in a week? All those carbs in the bread and fat in the milk should be about as beneficial to the waist line as Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.

6. Lee January 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Chris, you’re a trooper! And yes, buying 12 loaves is a bit much. I did one loaf and two gallons of milk.

@Northside Food – You’ve hit the nail on the head about the ice. There comes a point where the ice is so packed down onto the roads that nothing will get it off, save higher temperatures. Up north it is often just pure snow. Snow is a piece of cake.

7. Travis Allen January 13, 2011 at 8:40 am #

Since I’ve been of driving age…that’s 18 years since I’m 34…this is the worst I’ve ever seen in the Milton / Alpharetta area.

Monday wasn’t so bad since it was snow and easily drivable if you took it easy.

Tuesday was probably the worst, but Wednesday morning was no picnic as Windward Parkway and North Point Parkway were still about 75% ice.

Today (Thursday) was much better.

As for stocking up at the store, we only bought an extra gallon of milk and an extra loaf of bread.

Of course, we can easily walk to the Kroger on Hwy 9 within a few minutes, so no panic at the Allen home.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Tweets that mention Roots in Alpharetta ยป How Snowmageddon 2011 Justifies Our Milk and Bread Hoarding -- Topsy.com - January 11, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by North Atlanta News, Roots In Alpharetta. Roots In Alpharetta said: How #snowmageddon2011 has justified the southern tradition of hoarding milk and bread. I'm flame bait! http://bit.ly/hcBZV8 [...]