New/Closed Restaurants – November 2010 part deux

Every Friday, Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and dining in a series called Foodie Friday.

Lots of new restaurants are in the works for Alpharetta. For several weeks I’ve ignored one of my sources for this information. As a result, I’ve missed a few joints. Here’s what I know. If you know of anything I’ve missed, leave me a comment!

One Star Ranch – Closed?

I’ve heard from two friends online that this joint might be closed. The Highway 9 barbecue corridor was saturated. Consider that Smokejack, One Star, Dickey’s, ‘Cue and Slopes all existed on one road and just a few miles from each other. Something had to give. As I said in my review of One Star over the summer, this was the most authentic-looking Q joint in town, but one of the worst tasting. While I hate to see a business close, I kinda hope a craft/boutique barbecue joint snaps up this space.

Lettuce Souprise You – Windward – Closed

Not a huge souprise surprise. This shopping center eats restaurants. But this marginal salad bar joint was sub-par from the start. In the window there is a sign that reads “Coming Soon… Saigon Café“.

Tilted Kilt – Windward

Hooters meets the Irish pub. I’ve never been to a Tilted Kilt franchise, but I certainly know their reputation. They will be opening in the space formerly home to Frontera and before that Roadhouse Grill. Again, this spot might be cursed. The building sits below the road level of Windward Parkway. It can be tough to see as you drive by. On the other hand, it is one of the very few walkable lunch destinations on Windward, especially for those who work in the old Cingular office. Other Tilted Kilt locations in the burbs are very successful. I think this one will be also.

Tifosi Gastropub – Main Street Alpharetta

They are building out the old KFC/Long John Silvers spot on Main Street, across from Hardees. I have a hard time seeing this space as a gastropub. Whenever someone converts an old fast food joint into something different, I never see past what it used to be. Maybe they can do better here. The building is also small. And what’s in the name? Someone on the 285foodies.com forum told me that “tifosi” in Italian is a fan, and the fans of cycling in Italy are called the Tifosi. Will it be a cycling joint? We’ll see.

Genghis Grill – Windward

They will open in the strip mall with Five Guys and Which Wich. They will be right at home here. This is a fast casual, build your own Mongolian stir fry kind of deal. It might be interesting, but I’m growing tired of the latest fast casual restaurant concept de jour.  I also very much dislike this strip mall, especially for lunch. It is crazy busy and hard to find parking.

Blue Agave Cantina – Old Milton

It’s been hard to find information on these guys. Seems they’ve got their eye on the old Pisces Seafood/Coquettes Steak location. I don’t know much else about them. They’ve been making the rounds with the city to get various permits to open up. That’s about it. Stay tuned.

10 Responses to “New/Closed Restaurants – November 2010 part deux”

1. Dennis Murray November 26, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

I’ve heard Tifosi most commonly used to describe fans of the Ferrari F1 team. Probably could also apply to fans of the Italian football (soccer) clubs.

Maybe an automotive, racing, or international sport tie-in? If they open early for racing viewing parties it could be successful.

2. Greg December 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

I’ve been to Ghengis Grill in Chattanooga and loved it. I’m looking foward to it opening here.

3. Paul Broni December 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

Regarding Tifosi, I agree that it’s going to be hard to think of that building as anything other than a fast-food joint. I’m optimistic, though, as the concept sounds intriguing. What am I trying to understand is WHY they would put their Web site’s URL on the banner in front of the building without having ANY information on the site. Even a basic description of the food or the concept — or a place to capture email addresses so they could announce the opening and stay in touch thereafter — would be better than the basic “coming soon” verbiage they have now. Meh.

4. Lee December 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks for the comment, Paul. I got an email this week from one of the co-owners of Tifosi. He assured me that it’ll look nothing like a fast food joint when they are done with the buildout. But I agree on the website. Base on my experience with new restaurants in Alpharetta, it will take them months to finish building and get the various approvals from the city. It took Rio Nuevo at leave five months to open.

5. Greg December 7, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Lee, I drove by the strip center you mentioned for Ghengis Grill, and I don’t see a spot large enough for a restaurant available. Are you sure that’s where it’s going?

6. Lee December 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Greg,

I think you’re right. Some of the reports I read suggested it would be in this strip mall. Now that I think about it, this would technically be on the Milton side of Windward. They have applied to the city of Alpharetta for sign permits and the like. So it will certainly be on the south/west side of Windward. Their address on the Genghis website says 4915 Windward. The 4900 block of Windward is past Hwy 9, near Lowes. I know of no vacant or available restaurant space among the Lowe’s out parcels. So at this point, I’m clueless as to where this will be!

7. Lee December 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Ok, I think I figured it out. There is a new little strip mall that was just built as an out parcel of Lowes. It is almost directly across Windward from Roaster’s and Ippolito’s. I believe Genghis will be the right endcap on this strip mall. On the left will be a liquor store.

Seems like an odd location, being past Hwy 9 and away from the cubicle dwellers.

8. Paul Broni June 20, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Tifosi = R.I.P.

Complete bummer…the braised short rib was excellent.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Tweets that mention Roots in Alpharetta » Blog Archive » New/Closed Restaurants – November 2010 part deux -- Topsy.com - November 26, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Roots In Alpharetta, North Atlanta News. North Atlanta News said: New/Closed Restaurants – November 2010 part deux: Every Friday, Roots in Alpharetta features an article on food and… http://dlvr.it/9D4lp [...]

2. Roots in Alpharetta » New Restaurants – July 2011 - July 8, 2011

[...] first wrote about these guys way back in November when they were planning to call the joint Blue Agave. Seems like their buildout is finally [...]